[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Question on domain name • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Question on domain name

Newbies are welcome! Join us here to discuss anything related to getting started with your first eBiz - or even a new eBiz model. From ideas to implementation. If you've got questions, ask them here! -- NOTE: topics in this section may get moved to more appropriate categories at some point. If you are unsure where to post your question, feel free to post it here!

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Question on domain name

Postby networkmom » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:24 pm

There is a company that offers a franchise and I had purchased a domain name with their name in the domain. Is this legal to do? They called me and wanted me to transfer the domain to them and they said they did not want to go to court over this. Did I do something illegal and do I have to give them the domain?

Thanks
Denise
networkmom

Postby angienewton » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:22 pm

If they can prove trademark by sending you their info then I think there could be an issue however I don't think you have to give them the domain. If you want to, you could sell it to them and have them pay for any fees to transfer it, etc. BUT I wouldn't just take their word for it.

Hope someone here has experience with this. Wait for a bit and see before making any decisions.
angienewton
Elite Member

Postby lisamariemary » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:23 pm

Hmm...I wouldn't think you'd have to give it to them - that part sounds odd. I'm definitely not in the know about these things, though. I do know that a lot of companies will not let you use their name in your domain, though.

I know of an internet marketing lawyer - I'll go dig around on his site and see if I can find something....

ETA: Ok, dagnabbit if I can't even find the guy's site! I'm pretty sure his name is Michael Young and he's in Plano, TX - he specializes in this kind of stuff.

In the meantime, though - I found a interesting, possibly helpful thread at the Warrior Forum (which is where I met the lawyer, I think - oh nooo, maybe I met him at Tony Blake's forum, yeah...) anyhoo - this thread might help you:
http://www.warriorforum.com/main-intern ... dvice.html

If you can't read that, because, you're not a member - I'd suggest signing up - the Warrior Forum is a GREAT place for people like us to learn lots and lots and lots of things. Definitely worth signing up.

Meantime - I'll go check Tony's place...

ETA: Ok, found Mike at Tony's! Here's his blog: http://mikeyounglaw.com/wp/

I hope I've been helpful to you!!
lisamariemary
Elite Member

Postby terrapin719 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:12 pm

I don't think you have to give it to them for free, but in some cases they can take you to court and ask to have the domain transferred to them if it's a branded and trade marked name.
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby AlexNewell » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:37 pm

AlexNewell
Elite Member

Return to Getting Started - Learning the Basics