[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Review • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Review

Post your website for review, and let fellow members give you valuable feedback! Please post the link, a bit of information about your website, and what it is you would like feedback on specifically (design, color scheme, browser compatibility, copy, functionality, etc)

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Review

Postby sct100 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:55 pm

Although I have had this site for a few months, I am just starting to take it into the commercial realm. It is my plan to begin to offer recorded and written material for sale and give away. I am not real HTML savvy so I have used the hosts templates. I am working on learning. I am interested in what I can do to make it more engine friendly and appealing to future customers. No need to be kind. Let 'er rip!
sct100

Postby tknoppe » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:38 pm

Hi Stephen,
Very soothing colors - and for the topic of the site, it fits!

A few things I'd tweak:

* The photo in the header is a bit to tall, ideally I'd like to see that no taller than the green area to the left; and it also stops short on the right and doesn't tile to fill the entire header area. So perhaps set that image to tile, or create a large image that will fill that space.

* Use a logo or at least a larger font, to make your biz name pop out a bit more. What you first see is the photo, not the biz name.

* The navigation on the left - with all the arrows & + 's I'm not sure where to click to go where I want. The font size is also a bit small for my eyes. I would remove either the +'s, and then make the arrows AND the words clickable links.

:)
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby sct100 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:50 pm

thanks Traci. Some of that I can fix, others, like the button to other pages is part of the template. When I get up to speed on web design, I can fix that.
sct100

Postby terrapin719 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:39 pm

The thing that really jumped off the page was the header image being misproportioned. It was kind of distracting.

A few of the article pages I visited were in Times New Roman font, I'd change those to Arial or Verdana ... Times is great for things that printed on paper, but not so comfortable for on screen reading.
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby sct100 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:39 am

sct100

Postby sct100 » Sat May 09, 2009 6:28 am

Ok. It has been a while and I have changed the site dramatically. It is now my own and not a template. According to Google analytics, I get about eight visits a day. At this rate, I am not going to be rich anytime soon. Obviously, there is something wrong, but I don't know what. Anybody feel inclined to take a look and make suggestions?
sct100

Postby tknoppe » Sat May 09, 2009 6:40 am

Stephen - what are you doing to bring traffic to the site?

I see under the Principles area you have some video, but Google can't read video - so you need to add text content for Google to have something to read - and you need to do keyword research for phrases people are searching for that is relevant for the topic for each particular video.

I notice under the Blog tab that directs you to a blogspot blog; how much traffic are you getting to that blog and are you linking from your blogspot blog back to this site?
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby sct100 » Sat May 09, 2009 10:40 am

sct100

Return to Website Reviews