[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Is Joomla easy to use? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Is Joomla easy to use?

Designing your own website? Need help? Ask your questions and share your favorite resources here... Tables, Forms, Color Scheme & Layout, Scripts, Programs & Resources

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Is Joomla easy to use?

Postby Rich Atkinson » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:53 am

Rich Atkinson

Postby lisaw » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:33 am

Hi Rich - Joomla is nothing like an HTML Static site. It's a CMS system built with modules. The learning curve is pretty steep, but it's easy to use once you get the hang of it. If you're looking for a website that is easy to update on your own, I prefer WordPress.

I'd be happy to help you. PM me if you're interested. :)

Lisa
lisaw
Elite Member

Postby nar321 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Just for the record your trying to compare apples and oranges. Dreamweaver is something you use to create a site. Joomla is a CMS=Content Management Software with all that content management software entails(As Lisa points out in her post there is a fairly steep learning curve) .But the actual install is possible in Fantasico with some web hosts.

Somewhat easier to learn is Wordpress or b2evolution(also possible to install using Fantasico. There are plug-ins for either system but neither one is a cake walk depending on what you want to do. Hope this helps :)
nar321
Elite Member

Postby Rich Atkinson » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:34 am

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try a different system.
Rich Atkinson

Postby roselee » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:12 am

Before few days ago my friend suggested me one site for same problem may be that helps to you.

Visit: http://www.semaphore-software.com/
roselee

Postby nhynes57 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:04 am

I would start with Wordpress as it is easiler to setup and use. Have a look at http://www.freewordpresstutorials.com/ for help in setting it up.
nhynes57

Postby tknoppe » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:21 am

I am a web designer, and for the past few years have been setting up WordPress for my clients as most did not want to have to pay me to update their sites. WordPress is much easier to use. As others have stated, Joomla is nice, but does have a steep learning curve. It's complete overkill for a simple site. So depends on what your long-term needs are, as to whether you would want to tackle Joomla. WordPress is also a CMS, not just a blog system. You can have pages and blog posts both with WordPress.
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby Rich Atkinson » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:16 am

Thanks again Traci. Do you recommend Wordpress for a website?
Rich Atkinson

Postby tknoppe » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:48 am

tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby sct100 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:44 am

Traci, I watched your video and did all the things in cpanel you said. When it was all said and done, I had nothing. I mean, I think it did what it was supposed to do, but my finished product looked nothing like yours. I have inmotion as my host, if that makes any difference. Wordpress tells me about changing My congfig files, but I don't want to go horsing around in there unless I have to. I am not a computer genius by any means!
sct100

Postby Rich Atkinson » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:25 am

Rich Atkinson

Postby tknoppe » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:10 am

Stephen: Do you have cpanel with your hosting and also see the Fantastico icon within your main cpanel login? If you do, and followed all the steps in the video, it should work for you and you wouldn't need to change the config files, as it does it for you when installing through Fantastico. If you want to contact me via PM, I can have a look for you to see if we can't get you up and running.

Rich: you'll love WordPress. Lynn has a HostGator banner sprinkled through the site here with her affiliate link. I believe you can get your first month of hosting for nothing or a .01 or something. Worth checking out. ;)
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby Rich Atkinson » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:10 am

Rich Atkinson

Return to HTML, Web Design & Programming