[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Word Count Question • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Word Count Question

Writing articles for free publicity, freelance writing, writing books, copywriting, editing and proofreading. If you write, or would like to, join us here in the Writer's Corner.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, DebGallardo

Word Count Question

Postby MommyEnterprises » Sun May 25, 2008 5:34 pm

When putting a total at the end of an article for the word count, would you include the title in this total?
MommyEnterprises

Postby TorontoCarol » Mon May 26, 2008 3:09 pm

Hi Stefani, I always include the title in the word count when I ghost write. It never occurred to me not to. When I submit to ezine articles I do as well and they've never said anything.
TorontoCarol
Elite Member

Postby MommyEnterprises » Mon May 26, 2008 4:59 pm

MommyEnterprises

Postby DebGallardo » Wed May 28, 2008 3:21 am

Stefani,

I don't know about online, but for Writer's Digest competitions and fiction submissions, the word count does not include the title. One reason is, the title is likely to be changed by an editor, so the word count won't change regardless of the title.

Hope this helps.

Deb
DebGallardo
Elite Member

Postby Kit Singleton » Wed May 28, 2008 5:53 am

For what it's worth, I don't count the title either.
Kit Singleton

Postby Mel » Wed May 28, 2008 9:30 am

Mel

word count

Postby auntiej » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:04 pm

Personally i do include a title in the word count because it is words i have typed. I always think of the total needing to include title. :)
auntiej

Word counts revisited

Postby DebGallardo » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:03 am

The industry standard for word counts is NOT to include the title. The reason is that traditional publishers often change the title, thus throwing off the word count if the title were included.

It's not how many words you TYPE, it's how many words the actual article contains. The title is not considered part of the article content. It's a separate entity.

Think of it as a web page which has a <head> section -- this would be your title, and a <body> section -- this would be the article itself. Publishers want to know how many words are in the body of your article. The number of words in the title is irrelevant.

Hope this clarifies everything.

Deb
DebGallardo
Elite Member

Postby tam2005 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:06 pm

I never include my title in my article word count.
tam2005

Postby doc333 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:06 am

I don't include the title in word count and I make sure each article body is at least 500 words. 500 words is the minimum requirement for most directories these days
doc333

Word Count, Words and More

Postby DebGallardo » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:31 pm

DebGallardo
Elite Member

Postby onlineleben » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:42 am

I always treat the title seperatly. When starting out with an article, I first write the article and when that is finished, I work on getting the headline (title) right. The additional 8-12 words you have in your title are not important when it comes to word count (imho) - what counts is content and how you pull in your readers to read your article.
onlineleben

Return to Writing for Publicity, Writing for Pay