[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - OK, now I'm worried.... • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

OK, now I'm worried....

Discuss domain name registration, registrars, hosting companies, how-to's and anything else associated with domain names and web hosting.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

OK, now I'm worried....

Postby CalamityJane » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:28 am

I've registered several domain names at GoDaddy over the past couple of months. I purchased the WebsiteTonight for one of them, that I was going to work on first. That one is more of a personal, family&friends-type site, so I'm going to leave it alone for now.

I did not buy a hosting package for any of the other sites. I just finished talking with a godaddy support person, who basically said that if I had never set up a site before, it was going to be hard to do, unless I bought WebsiteTonight (she recommended the Economy pkg) for each of the other sites I want to focus on.

The "unlimited websites", she said would not be good, because I would choose one for a primary site, and the other sites would be "alias" sites, and it would then be a problem with files, etc, (uploading?--can't remember everything she said). She said that since I was new to all this, it would be very difficult for me to do.

My question is: is it different on Hostgator, or Bluehost, or other hosting services? And, is it really that difficult to do if you're a newbie?

I don't even know if I am asking this in a way that makes sense. But any comments, suggestions, or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.
cj
CalamityJane
Elite Member

Postby Marc Meole » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:55 am

Step 1: RUN FROM GODADDY HOSTING...

Step 2: switch to HostGator

You do not need a separate hosting package for each. All you have to do is have 1 as you primary and the rest or addons...it simple to do...I do it all the time...

Sounds like they are trying to take advantage of you honestly...and that really ticks me off

Can you switch to another hosting...If you can switch to hostgator and I will help you set up the addon domains...once you see how easy it you will be able to do it too.

If you can't I'll try to help you with setting them up at godaddy, I never have used them...do they use cpanel?
Marc Meole

Postby robert adams » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:01 am

robert adams
Elite Member

Postby CalamityJane » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:19 am

CalamityJane
Elite Member

Postby Marc Meole » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:11 am

You can keep you names registered at Godaddy...just host the sites at HostGator...you just have to change the Domain Name Servers.

So get a package with hostgator...Figure out which one you want to be the primary domain on the account.
HostGator will send you an email with the DNS info..You could set in all you addons even if you are not doing anything with them.
Marc Meole

Postby CalamityJane » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:44 am

Thanks Marc. One more question: are there any considerations to take into account on deciding which domain will be primary? These will eventually be (unless I change my mind as I learn more) two separate websites, promoting products and with my own content, on two different topics, and a blog I'm working on that is not related to either of the other site. My blog is political in nature, and while I have the dream of being the "next big thing", I'm not holding my breath.

But my point is, the blog is not related in any way to my plans for my other sites, which will be focused on health/fitness and home businesses.

How do you decide which to make the primary?
CalamityJane
Elite Member

Postby Marc Meole » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:13 pm

Doesn't matter...all the domains will be like separate sites.
Marc Meole

Postby CalamityJane » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:39 pm

Thanks!
cj
CalamityJane
Elite Member

Return to Domain Names & Web Hosting