[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Does anyone here read NLP and what is your view? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Does anyone here read NLP and what is your view?

Positive mindset, success-oriented thinking, a place for 'thinking outside the box', brainstorming & goal achievement... Post your online business goals and your brainstorming threads here.

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, shortstack

Does anyone here read NLP and what is your view?

Postby Simonk » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:08 am

Hi

I have been reading up on NLP for some time and find it a very positive way of life.

Does anyone here apply it and if it worked what did it do for you?

And NO I am not involved in any way at all with selling or promoting NLP - before anyone says I am spamming :?
Simonk

Postby Baggs » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:20 pm

I like Paul McKenna a lot and have 2 of his books - Change your life in 7 days, and Instant Confidence.

They come with 'Mind Programming' CD's as well.

It makes a lot of sense that it should work.
Baggs

Didn't even know he had any books out?

Postby Simonk » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:42 pm

Simonk

Postby robert adams » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:01 pm

robert adams
Elite Member

Postby wade_watson » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:39 pm

I attended a couple of seminars on it in the '80s when it had just written about in journals. It seemed to assume that we all manipulate each other unconsciously anyway, so we might as well do it scientifically.

After reading Tony Robbin's book, Unlimited Power, the first popular work to feature NLP techniques, I toyed with a bit more. You constantly mirror people in direct contact situations and mimic them to a degree. The assumption is that people feel more comfortable with people who act like they do. You try to program them with Pavlov's dog-style suggestions. It also incorporates body language reading, especially eye direction.

I decided that I prefer a more naturalistic way of interacting with people and quite thinking about. I suppose I may use a bit in rare situations (it might be good for poker!). I'm sure it would be useful in direct sales situations. I've never met anyone who claimed to have achieved anything like the training hype, but that doesn't mean someone hasn't. I do occasionally run into someone who's obviously doing the mirroring thing and I'll have to admit it's an immediate turnoff. Seen from the other side, when you know the tricks, NLP stuff can look pretty lame.

I think that in order to make it really useful, you'd need to practice a great deal, as an actor does for a role, until doing it becomes an integral part of you normal style. Until then you're going to probably seem pretty goofy to a lot of people. I personally tend to be more interested in experiencing how people are than changing them.

--Wade
wade_watson

Hi Robert

Postby Simonk » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:54 pm

Hi

I was truly surprised that Paul Mckenna was writing about NLP - I suppose that is what happens when you live in a country where the language is not your own - you end up finding books and reading those instead of getting the full range! but still like living in Sweden!

However will take a look at getting these sent over here to read through - all the information in the world wont change how life is unless you apply it - so they say - but at least I have a chance to know more of what is out there that way
:D

Cheers for that.
Simonk

Postby Simonk » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:03 pm

Hi Wade

It is fascinating that you were at the early seminars - from the reading that I have done so far I can understand what you mean about seeming geeky using - it is a strange way of living if applied as it is set out in the books and I guess at the seminars you went to - but somewhere in it all and if you take it to a small level it seems to be an interesting and educational way of looking at things - I guess it is like everything else - good in moderation!

The books which are around now (that I have seen!) tend to be less pavlovian and mimic based (although that element still exists) and more geared towards viewing things in a positive frame of mind to get the best from situations, of course that could be just that the twaddle about 'watch and simulate' i just ignore because I would never bother with that stuff.

Thanks for the answer though - fully take the point about observing rather than changing people - but for me it has helped me observe behaviours better and that, to me make things more interesting!

Regarding body language and which way to look to recall things or to create things is always interesting - the way a person acts is a truly fascinating thing to watch but sadly cant get it right all the time - but I guess if I did I would be in a circus!

Still thanks for your time and your answers - always something that fascinates me and nice to know others views on the subject.

Regards

Simon
Simonk

Postby wade_watson » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:09 pm

wade_watson

Postby Simonk » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:42 am

Hi Wade - that must have been fascinating to be in the middle of, I have never been a 'student' of NLP just enjoyed getting information from it - I have been in sales a long time and have looked at many things - but usually with an over view rather than a deep look - the study of characteristics sounds interesting but have never heard of it - but I will now :oops:

I have, however always enjoyed the body language side and I have found myself watching people in cafes and trying to work them out - fun but useless as I dont know if I am right (yep - strange puppy!)

And (ignorant here too) what is the Gestalt therapy about and what did you think of it?

Simon
Simonk

Postby wade_watson » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:06 pm

Gestalt therapy was a discipline of psychotherapy widely popularized by German-American therapist Fritz Perls at the legendary Esalen Institute in beautiful Big Sur area of California. Not simple to explain, but it emphasized being "in the moment": being immediately self-aware. Perl's most famous line was "either (poop) or get off the pot!" Esalen was the center of the universe for the "me generation" crowd in the '60s-'70s. I was lucky enough to be acquainted with a few of the people involved at Esalen, though I never made it out there. I rather liked Will Schutz, surprisingly down to earth for an encounter group pioneer.

It was a fascinating time and many cultural an educational concepts from it have become common today. This string seems to have wandered a long way form Internet marketing, but what the heck.

--Wade

wade_watson

Postby Simonk » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:11 pm

Hi Wade - thank you for the answers, really very interesting to hear about other teachings in the field - but would disagree that this is far from internet marketting - the art of communication is the art of sales and sales is the art of internet marketting - so in theory this thread is as much about internet marketting as it could possibly be - and to me very very interesting to speak with someone who lived the experience as it grew up.

I will be back in the UK in the next few weeks and will arrange to get some reading material on these subjects delivered before I arrive - thank you again for your time explaining this - it really is very interesting to know more about.

I will let you know how I get on with the reading when I have got through some of it?

At the moment we are seriously busy with the new business below and trying to launch that and with one other new business venture we have been preparing for the past 18 months which is due to go live early Dec (global recruitment/reference site in our speciality - SAP) along with our stand alone company for the last 8 years - all in the recession!? so some fun - but I will find time for this reading - to self educate is to grow, to believe you have all the knowledge is to stagnate - not a quote but something like that should be :D

Cheers and speak soon

Simon
Simonk

Postby Simonk » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:13 pm

Just want to say thanks to both Robert and Wade for their time - really nice to learn more - but it does lead to a lot of reading - oh well Xmas on the way so should have time to sit down and read while everyone eats!!

Cheers and thanks

Simon
Simonk

Postby petertan » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:33 am

Have serious doubts on whether it works first.

It may not, or may.
petertan
Elite Member

Postby skyjoe76 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:57 am

skyjoe76

Postby AlexNewell » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:04 pm

NLP works alright. I've done a lot of training...

BUT

for me it is a bunch of techniques without a heart.

so if you treat or counsel people professionally and you can put the techniques in a professional context then do some training and see how you get on with it.

NLP is very fluid and you may dislike one approach and love another.
AlexNewell
Elite Member

Return to Quest for Success! Brainstorming & Goal Achievement