[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Revised landing page...way too boring now?? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Revised landing page...way too boring now??

Post your website for review, and let fellow members give you valuable feedback! Please post the link, a bit of information about your website, and what it is you would like feedback on specifically (design, color scheme, browser compatibility, copy, functionality, etc)

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Revised landing page...way too boring now??

Postby bizdev » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:14 pm

Geez, after 2 yrs and a major redesign only recently, I was told by the Warriors that my home page was unfocused and the small rotating graphic (now gone) and the banner ad (now also gone) were distracting.

So, I changed it out but now I wonder if it's too boring?? What do you think? http://smallbusinessstartup.biz

Also, I just last week (after 2 yrs :oops: ) optimized the keywords. I used long phrases (per Lynn's tips).

My traffic after 2 yrs has been dismally slow. How much of a factor was the lack of good keywords to the lack of traffic? I did have keywords, but not really matching the content (I don't know what I was thinking!).

The site did rank in the major search engines despite my lousy SEO.

So, is the home page too boring or does the content draw you in?

Thanks!!
bizdev

Postby karynsolo » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:03 pm

karynsolo

Postby robert adams » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:39 am

I agree, pleasing to the eye.

however, the purpose of that page is not evident.

you have a signup box at the top left hand corner.

that is the only "call to action" on the whole page.
yes, you have all those keywords as links throught the content, but if nobody knows or cares to click on one of them, there is nothing to tell them what you want them to do.

I would add some for more information.

type calls in the page.

Tell people what you want them to do, otherwise they will not do it.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby bizdev » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:19 pm

bizdev

Postby gsmart » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:19 am

I would add images or media to the site.

Good Luck!
gsmart

Postby robert adams » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:16 am

well, the whole point is to keep it simple and fast loading.

more images just clutter things up and media is terrible about slowing down web pages.

If your site is about media, if you just want your site to look pretty and be cool, then using "media" is fine.
However, if you want to get people to sign up for your list, or buy your products, then you don't want any of that ( unless of course, it is your product ).

Even though the current rage is using video for grabbing attention, it will still run off many potential customers if they are on a slower connection.

I have a pretty fast wirelesss connection and some videos take too long to load and/or stop during playback. When that happens, I usually go somewhere else that has nice plain text that I can read.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby onlineleben » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:26 am

onlineleben

Postby bizdev » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:55 pm

Thanks for the added suggestions.

I actually did have graphics on the home page and took them off at someone else's suggestion. I had some static photos and a rotating graphic. It was suggested that I lost so many viewers because it was too distracting and they weren't getting to the content fast enough.

Ever since I got rid of the graphics, the visit lengths have gotten MUCH longer! Big difference.

I added more "call to action" with all the "click here" links. Now I need to set up a sign up call to action.

Thanks again and keep those ideas coming!
bizdev

Return to Website Reviews