[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - How Long Do You Spend On Emails Everyday? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

How Long Do You Spend On Emails Everyday?

Time management, organization, working from home while raising children... Join us here to discuss the issues of daily life - and work - under the same roof!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

How Long Do You Spend On Emails Everyday?

Postby Shaye ~ proud wahm » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:35 pm

Sometimes keeping up to date with emails is a challange for me. How long do you spend on this task each day?

Do you have any tips on managing this time effectively?

thanks everyone :)

Shaye
Shaye ~ proud wahm

Postby KansasDragon » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:45 pm

I check it periodically during the day, but don't follow any set routine. I'm pretty good at glancing at subjects, and then closing my email quickly if there is nothing in it pertaining to the task at hand.

One piece of good advice I read recently was to schedule email times, and that the first time should be after you complete your first major item on your to-do list for the day. Otherwise you get distracted from the important items, and start working reactively.

It's a good piece of advice, but not one I live by, yet.
KansasDragon

Postby johndilbeck » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:28 am

I agree; if there is a major task to be completed, do it before checking email, twitter, or anything else that can be distracting.

Normally, I spend about two hours per day working on email. In general, I get about 300 emails per day and I go through them using my webmail app to delete all the ones that aren't relevant.

Then, I download the rest into Eudora and start going through them. I have about 100 programmed inboxes and the emails are filtered as they download. Some of the inboxes are high priority and I respond to them first. Then I work down through them by priority level.

High priority would be current customers, and new business; medium would be reply notices from forum threads and similar items such as new followers on Twitter. Low priority are any emails that aren't filtered into higher priority inboxes.

If I don't have time to deal with all of them, at least the highest priority messages are handled.

I change priority level on inboxes as my business priorities change. What was a high priority last year may be low priority this year, and vice versa.

When I finish working on email, I don't think about it again until later in the day.

Normally, I check email around 5:00 am and again around 8:00 pm. (I don't work all that time!)

Act on your dream!

JD
johndilbeck

Postby MommyEnterprises » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:04 pm

I am one that basically checks emails all day/night until I go to bed.
MommyEnterprises

Postby Shaye ~ proud wahm » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:06 am

Shaye ~ proud wahm

Postby PattyGale » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:12 pm

I check email twice per day... once in the morning before I start anything else and then in the late afternoon / early evening.

I scan for anything super important and if it is, I reply right away. If it's not important, it can wait.

It really has made a huge difference in my productivity in recent years.
PattyGale

Postby robert adams » Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:53 am

robert adams
Elite Member

Postby alexc » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:14 pm

alexc

Postby Jim Guinn » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:29 pm

Jim Guinn

Postby stephfoster » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:51 pm

stephfoster

Postby johndilbeck » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:51 pm

johndilbeck

Postby Shaye ~ proud wahm » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:29 pm

Shaye ~ proud wahm

Postby LeisaWatkins » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:03 am

LeisaWatkins

Postby miriampotter » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:56 pm

Hello

I check them a few times a day, but I am trying to use self control, and not let them rule me!
miriampotter

Postby alexc » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:47 pm

I find a simple filter, and routing all of my accounts straight through Outlook really helps to cut down on the time I have to spend dealing with e-mail. It also helps that I have a little Outlook popup every time a new mail comes in so I can immediately decide if I want to read it or delete it. I spend less time on email that way as I multi-task while still getting all my mail.
alexc

Next

Return to Home Office Talk