[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Facebook - Page, Personal account, or both? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Facebook - Page, Personal account, or both?

Social Marketing strategies: using Web 2.0 Social Media apps & services to gain traffic and exposure to your websites. Discussions on Digg, Facebook, Twitter, Pownce, StumbleUpon, MySpace & more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Alan Petersen

Facebook - Page, Personal account, or both?

Postby lindastacy » Sat May 17, 2008 7:14 am

After months of saying "I'm going to," I finally went to take the plunge this morning, but discovered there are two ways to sign up for Facebook and wasn't sure which to sign up for. Do you recommend I create a Facebook Page or a personal account? Or both (I haven't checked the terms to see if it's permissible to do both)?
lindastacy

Postby johndilbeck » Sat May 17, 2008 2:30 pm

johndilbeck

Postby MommyEnterprises » Sun May 18, 2008 10:38 am

I recently just signed up for Facebook. I think Lynn had blogged about it so I finally decided to join. That reminds me I should login and see what is going on. I found it kind of confusing though after using Myspace the last couple years. I setup just a personal profile though so far.
MommyEnterprises

Postby KansasDragon » Sun May 18, 2008 11:09 am

The explanation I recently heard was that a Facebook PAGE is more flexible for promoting. It can be used by a company, a school, a group, anything..

A Facebook Personal Account is your person to person account, that's about you and only for that purpose.

So, I'd say you probably want both. The personal acount for building relationships, and a "page" for actually being a little more promotional.

My info was from either Ryan Moran or Matthew Bredel, but I can't find the video link at the moment. If I run across it again, I'll add the link to the video.
KansasDragon

Postby KansasDragon » Sun May 18, 2008 1:58 pm

KansasDragon

Personal w/ Attraction Marketing being the focus

Postby greenstacks.com » Tue May 27, 2008 3:42 pm

greenstacks.com

Postby Bina Omar » Wed May 28, 2008 11:41 pm

Hi Linda,

You can have create both. But you can only have ONE profile (personal
account) and as many pages as you want.

The profile (personal) is meant to be focussed around you. You use
your profile to network with others and make friends. So, it's all
about interacting with others as you.

With the page, you can use it to promote your business. You can create
a page for your business, for example, or you can create a page about
a particular subject that you are interested in or you can create a page
about you as a professional.

Here's one of my pages if you need an example,
http://www.facebook.com/pages/WebBriefcase/8742134105

And then there's also Facebook Groups :-) but we'll leave that to later.

Hope that clears things up a bit.
Bina Omar
Elite Member

Postby Kurt Henninger » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:28 am

I use a personal account, and recommend that at least to start off with.

Its better to get a personal connection and create a relationship with them to start off with.
Kurt Henninger

Postby KarenMcG » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:46 pm

KarenMcG
Elite Member

Postby karynsolo » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:16 pm

Like MySpace there are also graphics and layouts that can be added to personalize a facebook page. With the personal account there are much less opportunities available to personalize it if any.
karynsolo

Postby Li Weng » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:45 am

Li Weng

Postby annalaurabrown » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:09 pm

annalaurabrown
Elite Member

Postby lisaw » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:11 pm

lisaw
Elite Member

Postby mrsatwood » Tue May 12, 2009 6:35 pm

I would definitely use to separate ones. One for business.. one for personal.
mrsatwood

Postby angienewton » Tue May 12, 2009 7:16 pm

WOW this was an old post.

I have one Facebook account, both personal and business. I really only joined FB to see pictures from a friend but now I'm hooked but I like the personal interaction.
angienewton
Elite Member

Return to SMO: Social Marketing & Social Media