[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - How to Unwind After Cranking Out Copy All Day • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

How to Unwind After Cranking Out Copy All Day

Compel your visitors to Take Action! What to say, how to say it, formatting and more... Join us here to discuss writing sales letters, general copywriting, and which words work the best!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Bensettle

How to Unwind After Cranking Out Copy All Day

Postby RyanHealy » Thu May 22, 2008 10:47 am

My wife and I love to laugh. Thing is, good comedy is hard to find.

Recently I stumbled on Flight of the Conchords, a folk parody band from
New Zealand that happened to get their own show on HBO.

Now I don't have HBO or even regular TV programming, but I do have a DVD
player. And the entire first season of Flight of the Conchords is available for
rent/buy.

Anyway, after a long day of writing copy and taking phone calls, it's nice to
unwind and get some good laughs in. If you don't mind a few swear words... and you like Napolean Dynamite... I'm pretty sure you'll love
Flight of the Chonchords.

Their songs have great lines like...

"you're the most beautiful girl in the whole wide room"

"and when I get down to my business socks, you know what time it is, it's
business time, that's why they're called business socks"

It's hard to convey the humor here. If you want a peek, just look up
Flight of the Conchords on YouTube. They've got some of their live
performances posted there.

Ryan

P.S. I'll post something that's REALLY about copywriting next time. :-)
RyanHealy

Postby Bensettle » Thu May 22, 2008 12:28 pm

Very cool, Ryan, will definitely have to check that one out. Heck, I get burned out after 30 minutes of copywriting :shock:

I have cable, but rarely watch it. I would MUCH rather get entire seasons of a show and watch like this.

Ben
Bensettle

Postby JosephRatliff » Thu May 22, 2008 7:42 pm

Ahhh come'on Ben...you can work on copy for 36 hours straight can't you?

Ryan, I am going to check this out right now...
JosephRatliff
Elite Member

Love the Conchords

Postby RayEdwards » Thu May 22, 2008 8:37 pm

RayEdwards

Postby Bensettle » Thu May 22, 2008 10:29 pm

Bensettle

Postby MommyEnterprises » Thu May 22, 2008 10:37 pm

MommyEnterprises

Postby JosephRatliff » Thu May 22, 2008 11:05 pm

JosephRatliff
Elite Member

Postby RyanHealy » Fri May 23, 2008 10:05 am

More ideas...

--Kicking back with a Fat Tire (amber ale available only in the midwest).

--Air hockey.

--Taking a long walk.

--Hitting the gym.

--Solving cast puzzles.

Barnes & Noble started carrying these cast puzzles by Hanayama. They're
super fun if you're into spatial reasoning.

I've bought five of them now, solved three, still working on two. A great
way to get your brain engaged in something that does NOT involve words. :-p

Here's a link:

http://www.frontporchclassics.com/games ... .php?id=48

Ryan
RyanHealy

Re: How to Unwind After Cranking Out Copy All Day

Postby Darrel Hawes » Sun May 25, 2008 1:51 am

Darrel Hawes

Postby James Palmer » Mon May 26, 2008 8:04 am

James Palmer

Postby Kyle Tully » Mon May 26, 2008 9:06 am

My girlfriend and I are nuts about Arrested Development. We've got all 3 seasons on DVD and just cycle through them non-stop. We both work from home so get plenty of "time outs" :)

Hitting the gym or going for a walk are always good to clear the brain. I'm usually chomping at the bit to get back into it when I get home.

And the Wii is hours (too many if you're not careful) of entertainment. Just need to convince her that a game of tennis is not a real workout...
Kyle Tully

Postby Bensettle » Tue May 27, 2008 12:11 pm

I enjoy renting entire seasons of shows when I'm burned out as well.

Although due to my comic book fan-boy nature combined with my gnat-like attention span, I'm partial to the action/adventure and SciFi shows like Prison Break, 24, Smallville, Lost, Supernatural, etc.

I especially like Prison Break.

Not only is it a (for the most part) "thinking person's" show, but it also has that "Lethal Weapon" flow to it the late (great) copywriter Eugene Schwartz talked about. (i.e. a couple minutes of dialogue, then some kind of intense scene that leaves you on the edge of your seat, a few seconds of story, then another action scene, over and over...).

Except Prison Break is like Lethal Weapon on steroids.

24 does this, too.

Ben
Bensettle

Postby JosephRatliff » Fri May 30, 2008 9:48 pm

JosephRatliff
Elite Member

Postby Bensettle » Sat May 31, 2008 10:51 am

Hey Joseph,

If you like that type of movie with the action flow, here are some more (if you haven't seen them already) you may enjoy:

North By Northwest (Alfred Hitchcock!)

The Rock & Transformers (both by Michael Bay)

National Treasure

Batman Begins

Any others you've seen with that kind of action flow Schwartz talked about?

Ben

P.S. Nothing like getting paid to watch movies...
Bensettle

Postby JosephRatliff » Sat May 31, 2008 8:43 pm

JosephRatliff
Elite Member

Next

Return to Copywriting & Sales Letters