[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Which copywriting format works these days: long or short? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Which copywriting format works these days: long or short?

Compel your visitors to Take Action! What to say, how to say it, formatting and more... Join us here to discuss writing sales letters, general copywriting, and which words work the best!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Bensettle

Which copywriting format works these days: long or short?

Postby secret33.com » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:32 am

I am wondering which type of copy-writing format is more effective these days? The long or the short copy?

My idea is that the internet is already saturated with information from billions of websites and most buyers who have to check out a couple of websites from the top 10 of the search engine result may not have the time and patience to read long winded 100 paged website content.

I will like to hear from anyone and what is working for you.
Thanks
secret33.com

Postby JosephRatliff » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:47 pm

JosephRatliff
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:34 pm

I agree - whatever it takes to give the information your potential buyer needs to make the buying decision. Nothing more, nothing less.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby James Schramko » Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:28 am

another tester here.

Test long versus short. The theory is that long copy will get a more qualified buyer.

You need enough of a message to get the facts out there and cover the concerns but not put them to sleep.

Video can assist a sales page too.
James Schramko

Postby Jim Guinn » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:40 am

Jim Guinn

Long or Short Sales Copy?

Postby devandjen » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:16 pm

devandjen

Postby JosephRatliff » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:53 pm

Well...

There really isn't a "long copy" vs "short copy" to debate...

It's "what copy" is needed to sell and get the best results. Period.

What combination of video, audio, text, graphics, is tested to prove the best results for the particular project.

And a good resource on testing?

Paul Hancox has an ebook called "Small Changes, Big Profits" that covers what in my opinion is the best testing methods available.
JosephRatliff
Elite Member

Postby sherryhan » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:02 pm

Whatever it takes to tell your potential customer everything about your product, leaving no questions unanswered. If it's long, ok. If it's short, don't add unnecessary junk just to make it longer.

In my opinion there's nothing wrong with long copy. They've always worked for me. It takes a different amount of information to convince each person. When I read long copy and I'm convinced enough half way through, I buy the product without reading the rest. I do have problems if the copy leaves questions unanswered. This is why it's good to add Buy buttons in the middle and bottom of your sales page for "impatient" customers like myself. Then for those who are not so easily convinced, they can read more.

Sherry
sherryhan

Postby Dave Origano » Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:03 am

Dave Origano

Postby irishyoung » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:32 pm

it doesn't matter how long or short it is as long as it is direct to the point and informative. users will stop reading your ad if at the start it didn't catches their attention and that they didn't see ahead what they need. So knowing what your customers want is a must. Keep in mind that your competitors is one click away.
irishyoung

Postby caren9008 » Thu May 08, 2008 11:40 am

caren9008

It's all about the sales cycle

Postby Bensettle » Mon May 19, 2008 12:19 pm

Bensettle

Postby RyanHealy » Thu May 22, 2008 10:56 am

I've done some tests in which shorter copy won. Other times, longer copy
has won. But I've had to test to find out.

One of my best promotions ever was around 300 words. And it sold more than
1,500 puzzles in a couple weeks.
RyanHealy

Postby RayEdwards » Thu May 22, 2008 8:41 pm

RayEdwards

Postby Sheridan Randolph » Sun May 25, 2008 2:52 pm

I second Ben's post. Schwartz is great for answering this, though I had to read it several times before I 'got it'.

www.sheridanrandolph.vox.com
Sheridan Randolph

Next

Return to Copywriting & Sales Letters