[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Wordtracker • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Wordtracker

How to do keyword research, find trends, locate niches, etc. Tools, methods, ideas and Q&A can be found here...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Wordtracker

Postby expatana » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:45 pm

Hi Lynn and others,

I posted some concerns about my Wordtracker research in the 20K thread (please forgive me for that). Now Lynn has asked me to post it here:

I used the free version to look up keywords for my niche of living abroad. I included as many keywords, including Long Tail ones, as I could think of related to that. Then they add in "associated" keywords. But the ones I plugged in and the associated ones they gave me mostly ranked poorly.

Wordtracker lists along a bar on the top a numbered ranking system starting with "Poor" and moving along to "Good" and then "Excellent." Each keyword you've selected gets a rank number so you can see how your keywords are ranked -- whether Wordtracker considers them good keywords to go with, or excellent or poor or whatever.

So far, almost all my keywords were considered too competitive or just not searched enough. So they're not usable.

Two of the "associated" keywords they gave me, however, ranked either "good" or close to "excellent." Both would be considered highly competitive at first glance, so I was surprised at this finding.

But, as someone knowledgable about the general topic, I saw quickly that, although they're desirable and therefore heavily searched, they'd be difficult for just anyone to tackle. One activity is legally available to only a select few, and the other would present credibility problems to anyone who can't do the activity regularly.

Note that Wordtracker's free version gives you rankings based only on MSN, not Google, Yahoo or any other search engine. You've got to get their paid version for that.

Could that be part of my problem?

Ana
expatana

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:53 pm

Hi Ana,

When you refer to WordTracker's "ranking system", do you mean KEI? If so, you want to disregard that altogether. KEI is skewed. The calculation takes the number of search results into consideration, which is not an accurate indication of "competition" at all...
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby expatana » Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:29 am

expatana

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:22 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby LaneLester » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:52 am

I used WordTracker's one-day subscription with satisfaction fairly often in the past, and I analyzed the data with (aff link). That provided great power in going beyond KEI in my evaluation. He's currently updating KRA, so it's unavailable for now.

But WT has discontinued the daily sub, and the cheapest is the $30 one-month deal. So I've been looking around, and (non-aff) looks promising. I can analyze its results in KRA, as well, and it has a one-day sub for $7.95. They call it a trial, but it's been up for some time

Another keyword source I've used with satisfaction is NicheBOT, and Andy does have a keyword analyzer for that one: (yet another aff link).

Lane
Last edited by LaneLester on Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
LaneLester

Postby Tolits » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:04 am

Aside from Wordtracker you can also use for your keyword research the - a keyword research technology where you can also earn and even surpass what your competitors are making with Google Adwords and Overture. KeywordSpy gives you the key to their success: a good ad-campaign with the right keywords.
Tolits

Return to Market Research