[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Is my domain name too long - and should I switch??? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Is my domain name too long - and should I switch???

Discuss domain name registration, registrars, hosting companies, how-to's and anything else associated with domain names and web hosting.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

Is my domain name too long - and should I switch???

Postby BizCardGuru » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:13 pm

I've been using a 32-character domain name for 2 months, which was suggested by a mentor I respect. It's exactly the same title as the book it sells, which is good - but the URL is so long that it's awkward to use at times.

I prefer a different domain name, 24 characters, which uses the 3 main words of the book title and which is also the name of my ezine.

WHich is better?

And if I buy the shorter domain name, what next? Use one for print and one for online? Redirect one to the other? There are a FEW links to the longer URL if you search in Google for it but not a lot just yet - naturally, if I switch to using a different domain name I want to do so SOON.

I don't want to make more work for myself and don't necessarily want to have two domain names for the same product, but really prefer the shorter one...

Diana
http://www.InsidersGuideToShoppingOnline.com
BizCardGuru

Postby americanwahm » Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:16 pm

I user several long domains for product sites and it works out fine. I wouldn't use a long domain for a content site or a site that I'm going to carry in my signature on a regular basis.

Perhaps find a shorter domain and redirect it for use in places where the long one is a pain.
americanwahm
Elite Member

Postby robert adams » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:16 am

robert adams
Elite Member

Postby Johnny » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:27 am

Why not get both ? It is an additional of 10 a year ?

Perform a redirect from one of these domain.
Johnny

Postby rfresh » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:51 pm

@Diana

I would get your second, shorter domain name and have two - then redirect it to your web site with the longer name.

And if you do get the second domain name, make sure whom ever you register it with that you get full domain management capability with it.

Good luck!
rfresh

Postby Getagrip » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:39 pm

You can always use both and forward the old one to the new one for your repeat visitors who knew only your old domain name.
Getagrip

Postby Home_Based_Mom » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:55 am

If you plan on running PPC ads, the shorter name would be better because you only have so much space in the display url area. :wink:

(Don't ask me how I know this can be a problem . . . .) :?

Sandi
Home_Based_Mom

Postby Li Weng » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:58 am

Li Weng

Return to Domain Names & Web Hosting