[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Who Homeschools? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Who Homeschools?

Time management, organization, working from home while raising children... Join us here to discuss the issues of daily life - and work - under the same roof!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

one of mine...

Postby LynnWilson » Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:19 am

I am currently homeschooling only one of mine, though I have homeschooled some or all of my four for the last nearly 7 years! I think it is wonderful. I can relate to Lynn, though, with the pressures from outside. I help care for my dad, who is disabled, and I have always had to work as well. My husband was supportive, but I just felt I wasn't doing enough of the three R's.

I have one child with dyslexia who just would NOT thrive in a public school setting. He is my one homeschooler right now. The others are all happy and adjusted in public schools right now. I do miss having them ALL here. But maybe one day. We take it one year at a time!

You can visit my website for more of our experience, articles, etc., regarding homeschooling!

Lynn :D
LynnWilson

Postby Jason Moffatt » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:29 pm

Jason Moffatt
Elite Member

Postby LynnWilson » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:27 pm

LynnWilson

Postby Jason Moffatt » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:49 pm

Jason Moffatt
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:07 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby 3bgeneral » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:08 pm

3bgeneral

Postby LynnWilson » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:34 pm

LynnWilson

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:55 pm

We are starting unschooling this year and I am looking forward to it. My son is 11 and starting 6th grade. Up until now he has been in public school. It has been a hard road because though his teachers try (for the most part) no one really understands how he learns and what his motivations is. He was diagnosed mild adhd when he was 5 and i choose not to medicate, teachers didn't like that but oh well...lol Anyway, i am worried about him falling through the cracks in middle and high school so now that I am able to stay home, we are trying it this year. I hope he enjoys it as much as i think he will! I have many homeschooling/unschooling friends so i am not worried about his socialization. If any of you started homeschooling later in your kids life, how did you make the transistion?

Peace,
Christy

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:16 pm

Hi Christy & Welcome :)

My children were starting K & 4th grade when I began homeschooling. My son had become ill during his 3rd grade year, which made it difficult on both him and the public school system. To top it off, he was labeled "gifted" and shifted back and forth through various upper grades (with much older kids).

While my daughter had not yet started school, she was accustomed to a very structured pre-school environment - and of course my son had 4 full years in the system.

I was expecting it to be a BIG adjustment on them both... but to my surprise, they fell right into the routine without much problem. It turns out it was a BIG adjustment on ME :lol: . I learned just how "pliable" children truly are... much less resistant to change, and very easily influenced.

We homeschooled for 2 years while my son recovered. After that, they were both anxious to return to school... and while it was a tough decision on me (again, BIG adjustment LOL) - they have done really well with that transition, too.

Best of luck to you!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:13 pm

Hi Lynn,

Thank you so much for the encouraging words. I know kids are pretty flexible for the most part so that will help. I think I am the one that needs a longer adjustment period...lol Like you said, it is harder on me than him. We just "started" unschooling this week and so far so good. We haven't really done a lot but just the fact that we are getting along and he is taking more responsibility for things is a huge accomplishment! We have some field trips planned with some other local homeschoolers so i think that will help get us going in the right direction :) Again, thanks for the input, sometimes a little reminder is all we need huh?

Peace,
Christy

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:25 pm

Definitely!

Glad to hear things are starting off on the right foot. Just remember: you are in complete control, and your options are endless. If you get discouraged (I know I did at times!) you can always make changes. You can take breaks when you need them, and push hard when you need to. Just take it one day at a time ;)

By the way, I really like Henry David Thoreau - read up on him awhile back after reading some awesome quotes around the 'net... interesting story!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby WAHumor » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:21 am

WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:22 am

Thank you for your encouragement. I know sometimes it will be hard but I know we will get through it. We have a great support system of other unschooling families I know and i am on some great local yahoo lists as well. We are still deschooling somewhat but he is feeling the effects of boredom. The other day i was sewing (something i rarely do) and he wanted to learn how to sew, even made a secruity blanket for his little brother. Then he helped with dinner. Showed me a bit of what i have to look forward to as days/months pass. I also checked out "The Teenage Lieration Handbook" from the library for him (and me) to read. I am hoping that will help him realize how it all works...

Again thanks for the kind words and well wishes :)

Peace & Wellness,
Christy

Postby Ladan Lashkari » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:02 am

Hi,

I live in Iran and we don't have homeschooling over here. I just read this thread and I'm curious what exactly homeschooling is. Does it mean children study school lessons at home?

Thanks! :)
Ladan Lashkari

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:10 pm

Yes, basically. Instead of attending public school they can be associated with a particular organization or group (very loose structure)... or you can simply register as a home schooler with the board of education and do things your own way. There are many different types - eclectic homeschooling, unschooling, and even very structured homeschooling methods with umbrella schools or churches.

People choose to do this for a variety of reasons. I homeschooled for 2 years when my son was sick... I had a very hard time keeping him in public school as they just werent equipped to handle the situation, so it was the best solution for everyone.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Home Office Talk