[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Who Homeschools? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Who Homeschools?

Time management, organization, working from home while raising children... Join us here to discuss the issues of daily life - and work - under the same roof!

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, WAHumor, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises

Who Homeschools?

Postby ggagolfer » Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:37 pm

Just wondering how many of us are juggling our children's education and our vocation at the same time.
ggagolfer

Postby americanwahm » Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:12 pm

Me :) My 14 year old has been homeschooling since the 6th grade. It's a good fit for us and we plan to finish it out this way.
americanwahm
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:27 pm

I miss it terribly!

I homeschooled both kids for a couple of years while my son was recovering. He was diagnosed with severe anxiety & depression, and had grand-mal seizures, the year he was in 3rd grade. Sad that it was the situation that prompted homeschooling, but it ended up being just the best couple of years for us. Being a single mother, I got a lot of pressure from the outside, and my son recovered very well... so they went back to public school recently. We're all very happy, but like I said - I miss it terribly!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby shelwriter » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:41 pm

shelwriter

Postby Pac-n-Seal.com » Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:33 pm

Pac-n-Seal.com

Postby Josiah » Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:46 pm

Josiah

Postby PattyGale » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:42 am

My daughter will be 4 in a couple of weeks. She's already starting to read small words and can write her alphabet and her name (with no help from me!)

I've been thinking about homeschooling, but still not sure. I have some time to think about it.

I have a good friend who homeschooled 2 of her daughters... one graduated early from high school because she did so well and the other is doing really well.

Everything I hear about homeschooled kids is all good....regarding their academic achievements, etc. I guess my question is about the interaction with other kids and not keeping them isoloated.

Hope that doesn't sound silly, but I'd like to explore this option more to see if it's a good fit for us.

Patty
PattyGale

Postby 3bgeneral » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:46 am

3bgeneral

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:21 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby PattyGale » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:51 pm

PattyGale

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:45 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

My grandkids are home schooled

Postby Warren Contreras » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:45 pm

Warren Contreras

homeschooling

Postby Rasby » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:36 pm

Rasby
Elite Member

Postby PattyGale » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:13 pm

PattyGale

home schooling

Postby Rasby » Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:25 pm

Dear Patty Gale,

Your experience illustrates what I am seeing. The kids I see coming into my freshman classes fall into a bipolar pattern in terms of skills and grades. Rather than grades falling along a bell curve like we would expect, there are very good students (tends to be those who have gone to private schools or who have been home schooled) and those who can barely read and write beyond a sixth grade level. And your son's experience is correct: we spend the freshman year just trying to get them up to speed so the freshman year is often nothing more than review of high school material for bright students. Very frustrating to say the least.

I'm very happy for you that your children are getting an education that still stresses hard work, personal responsibility, and academic excellence. Many of my students are under the mistaken impression that the best course of action is to try and avoid as much work as possible. I tell them that a diploma may get them in the door, but it won't keep them from being fired if they can't do the work. I truly applaud you and your husband. I know it is a huge sacrifice to send children to private schools, not only financially but also in terms of transportation, etc.

I don't want to sound like all students are terrible. I actually have some very good students. It's just that there are way too few of them. Have a great day. Rasby
Rasby
Elite Member

Next

Return to Home Office Talk