This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

What are the basic things for the freelancer?

Newbies are welcome! Join us here to discuss anything related to getting started with your first eBiz - or even a new eBiz model. From ideas to implementation. If you've got questions, ask them here! -- NOTE: topics in this section may get moved to more appropriate categories at some point. If you are unsure where to post your question, feel free to post it here!

Moderators: angienewton, Al Smith, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

What are the basic things for the freelancer?

Postby alex07 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:48 pm

Freelance work is really a bit competitive these days. There are some points which I think should to be discussed.

1. Time Management
2. Meet deadlines
3. Be an expert
4. Report clients on his/her work weekly, if possible daily.
5. Self promotion on web

What you guys think, what should be discussed more on this?
alex07

Postby lisamariemary » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:31 am

I think a major one would be self-discipline. I think that's one we all struggle with. That and motivation, of course.
lisamariemary
Elite Member

Postby terrapin719 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:03 pm

Freelancers need patience as well. Working with clients isn't always peachy keen.... and finding work sifting through job listings and bid sites can be really tiresome.
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby jiminic2 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:40 pm

So, has anyone been successful at freelancing? I'm thinking about doing it, too, but being careful about the sites that offer freelancing services.
jiminic2

Postby terrapin719 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:18 pm

I love freelancing. It's a great way to meet new clients, a lot of times freelance weok turns into long term work. It's also a good way to fill in the gaps so to speak when your business hits a slow time.

Depending on what services you offer there are freelance job bidding sites like getafreelancer, elance, rent-a-coder, scriptlance etc.... These can bring a lot of work if you're willing to bid competitively.

For someone like me that offers transcription and virtual assistant services, bidding on those sites is really rough! Mostly because they are international. Companies overseas offer the same services I do for about 1/10th the price.
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby tms_seo » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:22 pm

I agree with lisa, major factor for a freelance would be self-discipline

freelance jobs are serious if you have real clients, your work will reflect to you
tms_seo

Re: What are the basic things for the freelancer?

Postby shivi » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:26 pm

Hello.

make sure that the scope of a project is agreed between you and the client before you start work to avoid feature creep (and subsequent unpaid work).

be clear on how many 'revisions' are allowed under a project (typically one or two), and be clear on what a 'revision' entails
shivi

Return to Getting Started - Learning the Basics