[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - How relevant is the domain name today? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

How relevant is the domain name today?

Discuss domain name registration, registrars, hosting companies, how-to's and anything else associated with domain names and web hosting.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Russell Portwood

How relevant is the domain name today?

Postby RKramkowski » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:41 am

RKramkowski

Postby angienewton » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:36 pm

angienewton
Elite Member

Postby Oregon Coast Guy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:52 am

Here are my 1-2-3 check-offs for registering a domain. I keep both the SE's and the human visitor in mind.

I tend to believe that the domain name should contain your core, themed keyword:

uniquely-portland-oregon.com
romantic-oregon-coast.com

My rules for registering a domain is:

Anything with 3 words or more, use hyphens...two words, do not, although, I do protect my brand by registering that same domain in different variations:

romanticoregoncoast.com, net, org
romantic-oregon-coast.com, net, org

One reason for that is when I tell someone to hit up my site, I don't have to worry about telling them, "hyphen, hyphen, hyphen."

Also, when it comes to hyphens and why and when to use them, here is a post that I found in the SiteSell forums that really brings that rule home. hehe.

These are not made up. Check them out yourself!

1. Who Represents is where you can find the name of the agent that
represents any celebrity. Their Web site is www.whorepresents.com

2. Experts Exchange is a knowledge base where programmers can
exchange advice and views at www.expertsexchange.com

3. Looking for a pen? Look no further than Pen Island at www.penisland.net

4. Need a therapist? Try Therapist Finder at www.therapistfinder.com

5. There's the Italian Power Generator company, www.powergenitalia.com

6. And don't forget the Mole Station Native Nursery in New South Wales ,
www.molestationnursery.com

7. If you're looking for IP computer software, there's always
www.ipanywhere.com

8. The First Cumming Methodist Church Web site is www.cummingfirst.com

9. And the designers at Speed of Art await you at their wacky Web site,
www.speedofart.com

Regards,

Tony
Oregon Coast Guy

Postby tknoppe » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:57 am

LOL I'm sorry - I know this wasn't meant to be funny, but seriously, did these folks not write down these domain names and LOOK at them before they bought them? An aptly placed hyphen would have definitely been appropriate in these cases. Yikes!

I agree, using a main keyword phrase within your domain name is good; but won't be a deal breaker if you can't find a domain name that works. Short is good, but SEO friendly, niche relevant and memorable is better; just try not to make it a mile-long mouthful. ;)
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby terrapin719 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:01 pm

I love that list, cracks me up every time I see it!
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby onlineleben » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:30 am

onlineleben

Return to Domain Names & Web Hosting