[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Wordpress sidebar issue (Thesis theme) • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Wordpress sidebar issue (Thesis theme)

All about blogging, bloggers, how to blog, platforms and themes and templates, blog promotion, working with RSS feeds, and more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, MommyEnterprises, Mike Paul

Wordpress sidebar issue (Thesis theme)

Postby ChristineG » Tue May 26, 2009 1:43 am

Hi everyone,

I'm usually pretty good with Wordpress but this issue is driving me a little batty--maybe someone can help.

I use the Thesis theme. My blog is set up as 3 columns: content, sidebar 1, sidebar 2

All the sudden my 2 sidebars and multimedia box are underneath my content. I haven't done anything different that would change this. It started happening after I wrote and previewed my latest post.

I tried deleting the latest post but the problem still persisted.

This is only happening on the Home page though--not any of the other pages.

Here is a link to my blog: http://communicatevalue.com

Any ideas how to fix this? Thank you!

Christine
ChristineG

Postby tknoppe » Tue May 26, 2009 7:56 am

Copied your homepage code into Dreamweaver & ran a report & did not find any obvious open tags that would cause the sidebar to bump down.

Images that are too wide can also bump a sidebar down below the content.

My advice would be to re-copy the index.php page for this theme into the theme folder. It won't over-write any of your content, but if somehow something got deleted, it would restore a possible missing tag or whatever is causing the problem.

It could take hours to trace down this one issue... so try copying over a backup/original of the index.php page to see if that doesn't resolve it.
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby ChristineG » Tue May 26, 2009 9:42 am

Hi Traci, thanks for the reply--I tried that and it hasn't seemed to fix it. I also tried making all the pics on the homepage smaller and no luck. Ugh, it's a bit frustrating as it's making the homepage look terrible...
ChristineG

Postby tknoppe » Tue May 26, 2009 10:01 am

Ugh - sorry that didn't work. If I wasn't so stinkin' busy this week, I'd dig in and look at it for you.

Did you Google this problem & see if that turned up possible solutions? I know image width is one, but there might be others I'm not remembering.
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby terrapin719 » Tue May 26, 2009 11:48 am

Are there a lot of fixed width tags for the main index? Maybe a quote mark or ending tag was deleted someplace by accident.

Hmm something has to be just a tiny bit off that it's doing that on there. I'm not familiar with the Thesis theme so I'm not sure where to trouble shoot it at. Could you have added something to the sidebar that was too big as opposed to a post?

thinking....
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby ChristineG » Tue May 26, 2009 12:29 pm

Traci--thanks...I did try searching and none of the suggestions has done the trick so far...

Loretta--not sure what you mean by fixed width tags. I haven't added anything to the sidebar though in months....hmmm....
ChristineG

Postby tknoppe » Tue May 26, 2009 12:41 pm

Christine - have you tried going back to a previously saved version and restoring that? There's a place below the post called 'Post Revisions' where you can go back to a previously auto-saved version of that post. Try that & see if that doesn't resolve the problem.
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby lindastacy » Tue May 26, 2009 1:02 pm

EDITED TO ADD: I've been thinking about this and looking at your pages more. And now I'm thinking my suggestions below won't be much help. I'll make another post here with some questions for Traci that might help with this.

If Traci's last suggestion about restoring a previous edition of the post doesn't work, here's some other ideas.

(By the way, the testimonial pages doesn't look right for me either. The sidebar is still on the side, but it overlaps the content section.)

Since it's the posts page that's the problem and not most of the "pages" pages I suspect something about the layout of one vs. the other. But if it were me, I'd start troubleshooting as follows... one by one..... trial and error....

1- Remove the "Get the FREE 5-Part E-Course" table and see if that fixes it. If so, then you know that's what you need to fix. (Just looking at things that seems to be the widest element on the page).
2 - Remove the sidebar widgets one by one (Be sure to save back up copies of their contents before you remove them) to see if has to do with one of the widgets.
3 - Any new plugins or plugin updates lately? Deactivate plugins one by one to see if that changes anything.
4 - Did you add a new graphic ad? Try taking those off one by one.
lindastacy

Postby lindastacy » Tue May 26, 2009 1:20 pm

Traci (or anyone else obviously)

I'm thinking that because the individual post page is fine too, that maybe it's something about the templates (or the index.php vs. page.php, vs single.php etc... or whatever the applicable files are).

I think your idea of re-uploading the index.php was heading in the right direction. Might there be another file that's setting the layout for that page?
lindastacy

Postby ChristineG » Tue May 26, 2009 9:16 pm

ChristineG

Postby lisamariemary » Tue May 26, 2009 9:18 pm

lisamariemary
Elite Member

Postby terrapin719 » Tue May 26, 2009 9:42 pm

terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby tknoppe » Wed May 27, 2009 8:02 am

tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby lindastacy » Thu May 28, 2009 8:15 am

lindastacy

Postby cwboaze » Thu May 28, 2009 8:25 am

what you talking about, a single character ' " , . / you name it can break a entire 60 million line software program and cripple business. Coding is tough!, and you've got to be on your A game.
cwboaze

Return to Blogs, Bloggers & Blogging