This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Members Free Classified, nay

Love it? Hate it? Have an idea to share? Let me know what you'd like to see in the newsletter, on the site and in the forum! I'm all ears ;)

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Members Free Classified, nay

Postby Publisher-For-You » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:23 am

Casting a polite vote against the Members Free Classified section.

I'd be content to ignore it but....

When you come to the forum, and search for the latest posts, this listing seems to be dominated by ads for baby diapers and such.

Although I probably do need a baby diaper for my mouth, I would rather buy it elsewhere. :-)
Publisher-For-You

Re: Members Free Classified, nay

Postby robert adams » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:34 pm

Publisher-For-You wrote:Casting a polite vote against the Members Free Classified section.

I'd be content to ignore it but....

When you come to the forum, and search for the latest posts, this listing seems to be dominated by ads for baby diapers and such.

Although I probably do need a baby diaper for my mouth, I would rather buy it elsewhere. :-)

sometimes members have good ads in there.

but mostly if gives people a place to put ads instead of putting them in the rest of the forums/topics.
nobody has to view that section if they do not wish.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:27 pm

Hey Robert,

Glad you replied here because I was meaning to talk to you about this issue. Is there a way I can make it so that the articles & free classifieds sections dont show up when you search "latest posts" or "posts without replies". Those two links are popular from the main page of the forum, but the results are pretty much ruined due to those 2 categories. If I cant remove them from those results, I may have to close them...
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby robert adams » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:47 pm

let me look into it for you Lynn.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:18 pm

Thanks Robert. I temporarily locked that forum category, until we get it resolved. I've had this complaint from a LOT of people.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Publisher-For-You » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:50 pm

Lynn Terry wrote: Is there a way I can make it so that the articles & free classifieds sections dont show up when you search "latest posts" or "posts without replies". Those two links are popular from the main page of the forum, but the results are pretty much ruined due to those 2 categories.

Right, this is specifically what I was requesting.

It's just one vote, but I don't care about the rooms being there, other than them appearing in "latest posts" searches.
Publisher-For-You

Postby robert adams » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:54 pm

I found one but it is a couple of years old and created errors on my test board.

still looking.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby karynsolo » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:09 am

What about linking that part of the forum to an outside hosted area and putting up a free classified script there. That way it is not tying into your forum directly but it is a place that people can post the free ads and what not?
karynsolo

Postby robert adams » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:36 am

Lynn, I have a way to do it, do you want me to go ahead and install it?

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby robert adams » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:38 am

karynsolo wrote:What about linking that part of the forum to an outside hosted area and putting up a free classified script there. That way it is not tying into your forum directly but it is a place that people can post the free ads and what not?

That would be one way to do it. However, in my opinion, one of the main benefits of having that forum is to keep the ads out of the others. It doesn't always work, but I think it helps a lot. If someone had to go to a different section of the site to post their ads, they probably decide to just put them in a post instead.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:00 am

robert adams wrote:Lynn, I have a way to do it, do you want me to go ahead and install it?

robert

Absolutely - that would be great :D
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby robert adams » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:19 pm

Ok, it is done.

I unlocked the classifieds forum. Everybody test this and let me know if there are any problems.

just for clarification, the object here is that the posts from the classifieds section and the marketing articles section will no longer show up in the search results when you click on "view posts since last visit" or "view unanswered posts" links at the top right of the index page.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Return to Feedback & Suggestions