This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

spammers

Love it? Hate it? Have an idea to share? Let me know what you'd like to see in the newsletter, on the site and in the forum! I'm all ears ;)

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

spammers

Postby robert adams » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:02 pm

Hi Lynn,

I notice in the memberlist that there are a lot of members with no posts and suspicious websites. These are usually signups either done by "bots" or humans that get paid to do it.

There is a MOD that will make cleaning this up very quick and simple.

Screenshot of the admin panel:
The original version of this MOD is way out of date and will not work with
the latest versions of phpbb. However, I have updated it and have a copy if you are interested.

let me know,
robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:07 am

I've been removing them manually - as I approve/deny each registration.

Your screenshot is not showing up for me for some reason. I'd be interested in hearing more.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby robert adams » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:40 pm

Lynn Terry wrote:I've been removing them manually - as I approve/deny each registration.

Your screenshot is not showing up for me for some reason. I'd be interested in hearing more.

Hi Lynn, sorry I did not reply sooner. I missed your post for some reason.

It is a pretty easy MOD to install and gives you a lot of control over how you prune the users.

never posted

never logged in

number of posts

number of days since posting

never activated,
etc,
etc.

I can either install it for you or just let you have it to install.

let me know.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:53 pm

That would be awesome - I'd love to clean up the database.

I'd prefer to let you do it, and would be happy to pay you to do so. Let me know your rate, and if you still have access to the admin panel or need that again.

Thanks! :)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby robert adams » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:49 pm

Lynn Terry wrote:That would be awesome - I'd love to clean up the database.

I'd prefer to let you do it, and would be happy to pay you to do so. Let me know your rate, and if you still have access to the admin panel or need that again.

Thanks! :)

Hi Lynn, I sent you a PM about this.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

spammers

Postby auntiej » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:24 pm

Are the post being made by these people or bots of any type of helpful nature? What would be the reason someone would want to make bogus post? I hate spam. My email hates spam. Spam in a can only please.
auntiej

Re: spammers

Postby robert adams » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:27 pm

auntiej wrote:Are the post being made by these people or bots of any type of helpful nature? What would be the reason someone would want to make bogus post? I hate spam. My email hates spam. Spam in a can only please.
usually, they are bots that simply register and never even activate their accounts, much less post.

they do this because they get their website listed in the memberlist. They hope to get a better page rank in google because of the backlinks.

If they do post, then it is basically for the same reason.

The register bots are very simply to stop. The human registrants are not.

Most software allows banning via IP , email, username, etc. However, this does no good because they just get new usernames , emails, IPs and register again.

Unfortunately, "spam" is a part of internet life.

Personally, I don't worry to much about it. I was getting a couple of hundred emails a day at one point. It is very simply to setup filters in your email client to delete them as they come in.

I also suggest using throw away emails if you are going to sign up for free stuff around the net.

If you own your own domain name and hosting account, then you can setup as many different email addresses as you want and then throw them away if you want.

That is what I do. IF I am signing up for joe blow freebies, then I go create an email address ;
joebloe@mydomain.com

then, if and when it starts getting slammed by junk, I simply go back to my cpanel and delete that email address.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

bots spam

Postby auntiej » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:18 pm

Well thanks for the info. So basicially these bots are just tring to advertise their web site! How do i get email fiters?
auntiej

Re: bots spam

Postby robert adams » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:33 pm

auntiej wrote:Well thanks for the info. So basicially these bots are just tring to advertise their web site! How do i get email fiters?
the filters are built in to your email client.

I use outlook express for all my email. I can't stand web based email.

anyway, whatever email software/client that you use will have the ability to do this.

robret
robert adams
Elite Member

Return to Feedback & Suggestions