This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Twitter Parties?

Social Marketing strategies: using Web 2.0 Social Media apps & services to gain traffic and exposure to your websites. Discussions on Digg, Facebook, Twitter, Pownce, StumbleUpon, MySpace & more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Alan Petersen

Twitter Parties?

Postby terrapin719 » Tue May 26, 2009 9:40 pm

So, tonight I tried to keep up with the #gno twitter party chat that happens on Tuesdays. I couldn't keep up and I got distracted by other things pretty fast ... but it made me think about this a little bit more.

I'm curious if you've participated in any twitter parties or held one yourself. What was your experience with it like? Any suggestions on how to best improve the whole thing and make it sane for your readers?
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby tknoppe » Wed May 27, 2009 8:10 am

Yep. Done the online #CWTU (Christian Womens Tweet Up) and briefly did one #GNO (Girls Nite Out).

They move very quickly. Hard to keep up with all the convos, even with TweetDeck, TweetGrid or whatever.

Honestly, I think it overwhelms my TweetStream of followers when I try to participate in those and interact, because then I'm flooding my stream with that #hashtag of conversations and many unfollow because of it. So, I stopped participating.

Now, if I had a highly targeted Twitter ID, and the online Twitter party was in that target market - I absolutely would join in. But for my @TraciKnoppe ID that is more broad (because my 'newbie' target market is very broad & found across any and all topics) it doesn't work so well.
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby angienewton » Wed May 27, 2009 9:28 am

I haven't participated and really have no interest at this time. Like Traci mentioned, I personally don't like when my stream fills up with so much stuff like that. It's almost like the follow Friday thing. I get the reason behind it but it totally annoys me to have every one tweet and retweet and it fills my twitter up that I can't keep up with everything else.

Wish I could get in to all that but for now I have to focus in other areas.
angienewton
Elite Member

Postby tknoppe » Wed May 27, 2009 9:46 am

It is possible to filter OUT those #hastags in TweetDeck, click 'Filter this column' icon below your All Friends column and enter in the #hashtag or phrase you want to filter OUT and click '-' and it will remove them from your stream. It's not perfect, it's case sensitive & can only do one #hashtag or filter at a time, but might help for those nites where there's a Twitter party going on.

http://twalala.com/ is another application that does something similar. Might have a look at that to see if that resolves the problem for you on Twitter party days.
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby terrapin719 » Wed May 27, 2009 10:52 am

After about 45 minutes or so of #gno I felt like I was over-tweeting and I stopped participating. I still watching because I was interested in the topics of press and product reviews, but did other things on the side.

I was thinking it would be fun to host a twitter party... but there's that whole over-tweeting feeling again and I don't want to mess that all up. Maybe with a targeted account like you mentioned it wouldn't be a bad thing ... hmm lots to think about.
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby angienewton » Wed May 27, 2009 1:48 pm

Thanks Traci! I'll have to check that all out.
angienewton
Elite Member

Re: Twitter Parties?

Postby Christian Carlisle » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:18 pm

The social media marketers have it right, twitter ought to be an ideal social marketing tool. It's a street-level conversation tool,it's authentic and is used by users for users.
Christian Carlisle

Return to SMO: Social Marketing & Social Media