This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Using a Pseudonym to Talk to Real People

Social Marketing strategies: using Web 2.0 Social Media apps & services to gain traffic and exposure to your websites. Discussions on Digg, Facebook, Twitter, Pownce, StumbleUpon, MySpace & more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Alan Petersen

Using a Pseudonym to Talk to Real People

Postby AnitaHampl » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:25 am

I have a niche web presence (Twitter, blog, email) in a pen name/pseudonym.

How do I maintain this "veil" when talking to prospective affiliate vendors?

I'm legit, my business niche is legit, and I contacted a vendor about an affiliate opportunity that I noticed with his product. He emailed me back to my pen name and asked me to CALL HIM to discuss my Marketing Plan.

Yikes!

I am not likely to promote his product (it's a thing, not a digital file) on any other niches, but I just feel kind of odd play-acting this role. Luckily, my alter-ego IS a woman LOL.
I really want to keep this identity separate from "me" - so as not to confuse my regular brick & mortar clients, and so I can blog more freely about people LOL.

I'd love some insights from people who are actually using pseudonyms.

Thanks!
Anita Hampl aka (yeah, right) :lol:
AnitaHampl

Postby lisamariemary » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:38 pm

You know, Anita - these are the types of things I've always wondered about with pseudonyms. I can't wait to see some response in this thread!
lisamariemary
Elite Member

Postby AnitaHampl » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:43 pm

I'm afraid its like a secret socity's handshake: you can't know it unless you know it . . .
AnitaHampl

Postby terrapin719 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:26 pm

This is a great topic Anita! I've only just begun to use pen names in affiliate marketing, and for the same reasons you mentioned, to keep them separate from other things I do.

I remember we discussed this at length in one of the Tuesday webinars and there were lots of good ideas shared.

In the case of the person asking for phone contact, you could simply say that for organizational reasons and time restraints you'd like to keep contact written so you don't lose track of the conversation. Offer to chat via instant messenger if they'd like real time convo instead of emailing back and forth. You can save a chat history of the conversation to keep their email correspondence file.

I've done this in the past and so far no one's questioned me on it and they go right into the chat/email mode.

If he insists on the phone call (unlikely, but could happen) then go ahead and set it up, have him call you at a specified time etc. If this is going to be a long term business relationship, there's no shame in telling him that you're using a DBA for that particular website, and let him know your real first name. I'm willing to bet that he'd understand the situation.

Or if you prefer not to spill the beans, you could have him call at a specified time so that you're prepared when someone calls and asks for you by your other name ;)
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby AnitaHampl » Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:38 pm

Ahh, Loretta:
"for organizational reasons and time restraints you'd like to keep contact written "

There are lots of local friends I'd love to be able to say that too. (In fairness, probably more of them would like to say that to ME ) :oops

Seriously, your tips sound great! For this particular vendor, since they are new to affiliate marketing themselevs, I will go ahead and call and tell him I use a DBA. But for established internet marketing types, I will use your suggestion re: chat. I love it, and truly appreciate your response.

Thanks, Anita

~p.s. I wonder if replays of the webinar is available/findable? Anyone?
AnitaHampl

Postby terrapin719 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:14 pm

I know Lynn records the Tuesday webinars, but I'm not sure if it would be findable even for her without knowing the exact date of the webinar. It was a few months ago that we had that chat.
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby angienewton » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:40 pm

AnitaHampl wrote:
~p.s. I wonder if replays of the webinar is available/findable? Anyone?

The webinar recordings are available to elite members. We have a special section where they are available to download. The Elite group is closed right now but we can let you know when Lynn decides to open it back up.
angienewton
Elite Member

Return to SMO: Social Marketing & Social Media