This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

8 Great Ways to Build Your Email List Using Social Media

Social Marketing strategies: using Web 2.0 Social Media apps & services to gain traffic and exposure to your websites. Discussions on Digg, Facebook, Twitter, Pownce, StumbleUpon, MySpace & more...

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Alan Petersen

8 Great Ways to Build Your Email List Using Social Media

Postby ChristineG » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:58 pm

More people than ever are using social media tools so more of your target market is reachable there today than even just a few short months ago. Take advantage of these top ways to add subscribers when using social media sites so that you can begin communicating regularly with more potential clients and customers.

1. Create an effective profile. Use a real photo of yourself and your real name. Include your location and a good bio--complete, up-to-date and with all contact information.

2. Offer events. A great way to add targeted subscribers is to hold an event such as a teleclass. Invite your followers and friends and direct them to a sign-up page specifically for the event. Let them know that in addition to signing up for whatever the event is, they will also receive a complimentary subscription to your e-zine or other valuable information.

3. Join a Ning network or create your own. Ning is a platform which allows people to create their own social networks online. Anyone can create a network for free around a specific interest. This is a great tool for getting in front of your niche or target market.

4. Sync your newsletter broadcasts with Twitter. If you use an email list service such as AWeber, you have the option to automatically tweet a link to your newsletter when the broadcast is sent out. Just choose Syndicate and Twitter Update.

5. Place an opt-in box on your Facebook profile. This is something I explain how to do in detail in my free e-course. The Profile HTML application in Facebook allows you to add your opt-in box for collecting names and emails very easily. This way you can capture new subscribers right from your profile.

6. Use social bookmarking sites. Have a way for readers to submit posts they enjoy to bookmarking sites (Digg, Delicious, StumbleUpon, etc.) right from your blog. This is a nice way to drive traffic to your site when others come across your bookmarked site.

7. Feed your blog posts to sites automatically. Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn all have tools that will post your latest blog posts on their sites as soon as they are published. This keeps you consistently on others radars.

8. Be helpful and participate often. The best advice I can give for spending time on social sites is to give, give, give. Create conversation as well as join it. People will get to know you this way and want to seek out more information about you.
ChristineG

Postby angienewton » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:53 pm

WOW! Amazing tips. Thanks so much for sharing. I tell ya, I learn something new every day. I have a long way to go LOL
angienewton
Elite Member

Postby lisamariemary » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:15 pm

This is awesomely helpful - thank you, Christine! :)
lisamariemary
Elite Member

Postby tknoppe » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:50 am

Thanks Christine! :)
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby ChristineG » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:43 am

You are so welcome! Glad you enjoyed :D
ChristineG

Postby JanMiddleton » Mon May 04, 2009 12:12 pm

Thank you for the great information!!!
JanMiddleton

Postby bothaville » Fri May 08, 2009 11:25 pm

Good info, Thanks
bothaville

Postby Katysmith » Mon May 25, 2009 3:28 am

Great post, thanks for the tips
Katysmith

Postby TorontoCarol » Tue May 26, 2009 8:12 pm

Hi Christine,

Thanks for the tips, but I have a question about Facebook. I have a Facebook account with all of my family. Is it possible to have one that is specifically business and doesn't show any of my family's pics,etc.?

Since not all my grandkids have their privacy settings done properly, I don't want any of their lives to be open to others.

Carol
TorontoCarol
Elite Member

Postby m.rose » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:26 pm

well nice and ideas and tips also it can help me
m.rose

Postby Monna Ellithorpe » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:26 pm

Christine,

Great information. I am just in the process of starting to create a subscriber list. I have shyed away from it before because I was always afraid I wouldn't have anything to say but I will figure out something.
Monna Ellithorpe

Postby Adrian Jock » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:24 am

TorontoCarol wrote:Thanks for the tips, but I have a question about Facebook. I have a Facebook account with all of my family. Is it possible to have one that is specifically business and doesn't show any of my family's pics,etc.?

"Q: If I already have a user profile, can I create a business account?

A: Maintaining multiple accounts, regardless of the purpose, is a violation of Facebook’s Terms of Use. If you already have a personal account, then we cannot allow you to create business accounts for any reason. You can manage all the Pages and Socials Ads that you create on your personal account."

Source: http://www.facebook.com/help.php?page=721
Adrian Jock

Postby TorontoCarol » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:29 pm

Thanks for the info Adrian. So I guess that means I will stick to using Facebook for personal use only then.
TorontoCarol
Elite Member

Postby tknoppe » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:39 pm

Carol - I wrote a blog post on this very topic last week:

Vanity Facebook Fan Pages: Why & How to Get One In this article I discuss my choice to keep my personal Facebook profile for personal family and friends and my FB Page for business.
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby TorontoCarol » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:16 am

Thanks Traci, I'll check it out.
TorontoCarol
Elite Member

Return to SMO: Social Marketing & Social Media