[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Web hosting • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Web hosting

Designing your own website? Need help? Ask your questions and share your favorite resources here... Tables, Forms, Color Scheme & Layout, Scripts, Programs & Resources

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Postby Mindy » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:29 pm

Hi everyone!

I believe it was Andre Chaperon's blog where I saw a recommendation for . $5.99 PER YEAR for web hosting!!! Seems too good to be true - so I wanted to know if anyone had heard of them or used them before.

Thanks! :D

--Mindy
Mindy

Hmmm...

Postby ImNgraphicDesign » Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:00 pm

Hi Mindy,

I took a look at the dayanahost.com $5.99 per year plan you spoke about. It seems legit, however you get pretty low storage space and monthly transfers. I don't know how much info you store on your website, but I personally would recommend at least 50 mb. of storage at the bare minimum and at least 1.5 if not 2 or more gigabytes of monthly transfer. They have an option for this which only runs $25.99 per year, so if you use them, I recommend at least using that plan. 10 mb. sounds like a lot of space, but believe it or not it fills up pretty quick!
ImNgraphicDesign

More hosting stuff

Postby AaronC » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:37 am

AaronC

Re: More hosting stuff

Postby HowardH » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:26 pm

HowardH

Well

Postby AaronC » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:48 pm

I think it depends on timing, myself. I got my reseller from a new company that's less than 2 months old. He was looking to host sites in order to boost his reputation, so he was basically giving them away below cost. The offer I got has already expired, and nobody else is going to be able to get on at this price. That suits me just fine =) It's a co-located machine, good specs and on a good NAP with only afew dozen active resellers and less than 100 sites hosted. It's a lot faster than my old hosting account (bought from a reseller) was and plesk is a nice addition (Cpanel is good too, tho).

There is a negative side to it, reliability. So far, so good... but there's no way to know if that'll keep up. But I maintain a current backup of all my sites and their databases, so if worse comes to worse I can move with little hassle (my domains are registered seperately, so changing their A records is a piece of cake).

Personally... I think it's about knowing the risks and managing them to your tolerance level. I worked with an ISP once that once had both of their main file servers die at the same time... some problem with their RAID controllers. The real problem, they were using one to backup the other. :( About a thousand customers lost everything. Prior to that, they were charging a lot of money and had good service... But it only takes one slip, and no company is immune to that.

I've been considering getting a shared co-loc. I have an ISP here that will co-loc for $200 a month. Share it with 4 others, that's $50 per. I could do a lot with that.

I've also considered going the high-end reseller route, getting like 5 co-locs, and getting the resellers to pay for the first 4 leaving an entire machine for my own enjoyment. LOL. But that's risky, you know... and I'm a fairly risk adverse guy. =)
AaronC

Postby Collin » Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:40 pm

Collin

Previous

Return to HTML, Web Design & Programming