[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Re: Website templates • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Re: Website templates

Designing your own website? Need help? Ask your questions and share your favorite resources here... Tables, Forms, Color Scheme & Layout, Scripts, Programs & Resources

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Re: Website templates

Postby Andrea21 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:12 pm

Hi,

I want to start a website that sells various ebooks, whether it is directly or as an affiliate.

However, I have no experience of html and would be starting from scratch. I was wondering if it would be better to get a website template instead of trying to do my own website layout?

I would like the ebooks to be showcased on a white background with a colourful border surrounding the pages. Is it possible for a beginner to do this?
What do you suggest?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Andrea
Andrea21

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:24 pm

The best thing I know to recommend is to suggest you try your hand at it. Do you already have an HTML editor on your computer, such as Frontpage or Dreamweaver? If not, download the free one at www.NVU.com and give it a try to see what you think.

Templates are very easy to work with, and cut out a lot of the time involved in developing a site. At only $5 ea, is really a great option (and one I use a lot myself).

Another option you might consider is , which would be a great help too considering you are new to all of this.

Keep us posted. I look forward to hearing what you decide ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Andrea21 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:42 am

Hi,

Thank you again for replying. I really can't afford to purchase the xsitepro at the present time, so I am going to have to try and work with the templates.

I have been through some of the Basic Templates and have chosen some that I think could work for the type of site I have in mind.

If I give you the code no's of the ones I have already picked out, would you be willing to help me choose the right one to suit my first website. IN other words, give me your opinion?

First site will either be one selling a variety of ebooks or
a children's bedding site.

Regards

Andrea
Andrea21

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:14 am

Sure, I'd be happy to take a look.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Andrea21 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:22 am

Hi,

Would you like me to send the code no's to you via your email address or post them in the forum?

Regards

Andrea
Andrea21

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:28 am

I'd rather you post them here ;) Thanks!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Andrea21 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:48 am

Hi,

Thank you for replying.

I chose the following website templates from the 'general section'. The numbers are 861, 863, 825, 631, 539, 56.

Which of the above do you think would work well for a website selling different ebooks?

[b]would any of them suit a children's bedding site or should I choose some others from a different section?

I appreciate your help.

Regards

Andrea
Andrea21

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:55 am

Personally I like 863, and I could see you making it work for either.

They have tons of templates... take your time and choose for one site at a time.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Andrea21 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:15 am

Hi,

Thanks again for replying. Yes, I think that is one of the best choices for a site selling ebooks. I also like 825 (picture of the sun, although I would prefer a different colour, suppose I am expecting too much:)) and 56 (again would be nicer in a lighter burgundy).

If I ever wanted to have one of the designs in a different colour, would that be possible, do you think?

My other questions:-

Do you think it's absolutely essential to go for paid hosting and domain name to start a website selling ebooks about different subjects from health & beauty to business and publishing?

If so, can I use the template to practice on a free site beforehand to get an idea about what it will look like. Then, go on to use it on a paid hosting site?

Thanks again.

Regards

Andrea
Andrea21

Postby ChristyK » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:05 am

Hi! Looking through them all, I'd have to agree with 863. (56 might be nice for book sales, but I agree more with your original idea of a white cell with colored background.) The one with the sheets would be a fun idea for the bedding site but looks like it would be difficult to read and that makes people quickly click away.

If you are just learning about putting up websites, you'll definitely want to at least learn to edit CSS (which is not difficult) so you can make changes even to these templates to make them exactly what you want. Here's one of several good tutorials on html and css.. http://www.htmldog.com/ If you come up with a specific problem, ask away. Otherwise, feel free to pm me as I know how it feels to be stuck and not know who to turn to. I may not know the answer but can probably figure it out. And no question is too simple or 'dumb' for this forum - and it gives the newbies a chance to be helpful as well when the questions are not so 'advanced'. ;)

You can preview the html code using the NVU program that Lynn suggested. Just put the html code into the 'source' section (tab at bottom) then choose the preview tab. When you use the 'normal' tab for editing, you are using the wysiwyg (what you see is what you get) part of the program. It allows you to make changes without messing with any of the code. But, again, these templates include css so much of your changes to color and layout will take place there. I need to get more familiar with NVU myself since I've stopped using Front Page.

I've done some hands-on learning of my own with css, so I'm far from expert advise. I'm thinking that you do need to upload in order to see the results to changes you make there, so in this case a free hosting account would be good. I'll think about that (or more likely be corrected by someone who knows better :P ).

Good luck and keep up with the ACTION.

Christy

PS.. I, personally, would go ahead and get set up with hosting now rather than uploading everything to a free host then doing it all again later to your paid hosting. You'll also want to get familiar with an ftp program for uploading your pages to your host - much quicker than using your cpanel. There are a few free programs (I'm currently using . Don't try to understand everything on that site.)

And in response to the hosting, you can save some money by using a host with unlimited domains so that you do not have to get new hosting with each website. If you go with the one in my link below I can help you with any questions you have along the way with setting things up.
ChristyK
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:23 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Andrea21 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:24 am

Hi,

Thank you Christy and Lynn for your helpful advice.

Christy

Which template were you referring to when you stated 'The one with the sheets would be a fun idea for the bedding site but looks like it would be difficult to read and that makes people quickly click away'.

I'll have a look at the tutorial on html and css. I have signed up with a free html course at about.com.

Thank you for the link to Host gator. I think that will come in handy sometime. I will also probably pm you to ask for some help again.

Thanks.

Lynn

Thank you for your help.

When you say I could practice on free hosting. Can I actually use the template that I choose on the free host and then again later on paid hosting. I hope I haven't confused you.

Also, when you say 'micro-niche'. Do you mean that it would be better to sell ebooks in one category for each site, for example 'natural beauty' on one site and 'publishing books' on another, etc?

Is it ok to sell both ebooks and print books on the same website. I would like to be able to sell my own and ebooks and print books by other people?

Regards

Andrea
Andrea21

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:46 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Andrea21 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:59 am

HI,

Thanks, I appreciate your help. I will let you know when I need your advice again.

Regards

Andrea
Andrea21

Postby ChristyK » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:45 am

ChristyK
Elite Member

Next

Return to HTML, Web Design & Programming