[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - How do I put an ad on my Wordpress blog? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

How do I put an ad on my Wordpress blog?

Designing your own website? Need help? Ask your questions and share your favorite resources here... Tables, Forms, Color Scheme & Layout, Scripts, Programs & Resources

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

How do I put an ad on my Wordpress blog?

Postby JeanM » Sun May 04, 2008 9:15 pm

Hello all

I have a wordpress blog and am trying to figure out how to put a Hostgator banner ad on the site.

Do I do it thru wordpress? I have another site and I am able to put banner ads on it by using NVU as my editor. Can ads be put on wordpress the same way?

Thanks for any help!
JeanM
JeanM
Elite Member

Postby Bina Omar » Mon May 12, 2008 8:40 am

Hi Jean,

Yes, you can add ads to the side of your WordPress blog. You will have to click on the "Design" tab then "Theme Editor".

You will find several templates under the "Theme Files" on the right. Click on the one that says "Sidebar". Assuming that you understand HTML code, just stick your ad where you want it to appear in the code.

Your ad will then appear on the side for every page
on your blog that uses this Sidebar.

~ Bina.
Bina Omar
Elite Member

Postby lindastacy » Wed May 14, 2008 2:25 pm

I don't believe you can use NVU to put ads on your blog.

Bina's method above will work if your files are writable and if the sidebar is wide enough for the ad you want to place (if it's a 468x60 banner, it's too wide for the sidebar).

If your theme uses widgets, sidebar editing is even easier.

The file you need to edit to place a banner depends on where you want to place the ad, for example, the footer, header or the page template file.

The easiest way would be to find a plugin that will do what you want.
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/
lindastacy

Postby JeanM » Thu May 22, 2008 8:40 pm

JeanM
Elite Member

Postby lindastacy » Fri May 23, 2008 8:01 am

Always keep a backup of your file before making changes. That way you can always at least replace what was working.

I wouldn't start editing files through cpanel. While it may be different now, in the past, the editor would add blank lines that would mess up files.

If you didn't customize it much before, the easiest thing might be to replace the file with the original from the theme files.

Or compare the two and see if you can find the error (just count lines to get a general idea of where it might be an look a few lines above and below what you get for line 46).

If you're still completely stuck, copy and paste the entire code from that file into a PM to me and I'll see if I can find it quick.
lindastacy

Postby JeanM » Fri May 23, 2008 11:17 am

JeanM
Elite Member

Return to HTML, Web Design & Programming