[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - What are....Static sites....What are pros and cons of them • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

What are....Static sites....What are pros and cons of them

Designing your own website? Need help? Ask your questions and share your favorite resources here... Tables, Forms, Color Scheme & Layout, Scripts, Programs & Resources

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

What are....Static sites....What are pros and cons of them

Postby edwinnyc » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:45 pm

Are static sites wordpress sites, designed by wordpress or can static sites be any site designed by html, frontpage, dreamweaver...

What other types of sites are there beside static sites?

When should one go with a static site vs other types of sites ( do not about other types so could not mention them :>).....?

What are the pros and cons of static sites?
edwinnyc

Postby ChristyK » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:09 pm

ChristyK
Elite Member

Postby ChristyK » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:19 pm

Oh and your other question. A con for static sites would be that it is not visitor interactive. Using WordPress as an example again, as a visitor I can find information by having posts listed by most recent, by category, by month/year, etc. I can also add my own content and have my user information such as email added into the site database.

But a static site serves just fine in some instances. For instance I have a site I designed/maintain for our local preschool that doesn't change very often other than adding pictures and changing occasional announcements downloads. I don't really want visitors to add to the site in any way. I may change it to Wordpress soon but that would only be so that someone on the board could easily update the site without having to know html.

Christy
ChristyK
Elite Member

Postby James Schramko » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:16 am

Static sites (sites that don't change) are great for sales letters that are proven to convert.

Also - they are far less buggy and far more secure than database sites. Wordpress and bulletin boards require bug fixes and security changes to permissions etc...

Static sites are generally cheaper easier and less clunky.

Dynamic sites are great for using powerful applications to do everything from automated taskes to interactive comments / polls and searches etc...

Dynamic sites can also provide traffic benefits because they can appear fresher each time. They do however have limitations with the page naming in some instances unless modified.
James Schramko

thanks guys....sample applications for WP and FP

Postby edwinnyc » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:31 am

edwinnyc

Postby robert adams » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:39 am

I think one thing that would help you here is to stop calling sites "frontpage" or wordpress sites etc.

frontpage is a web page creation program that you install on your computer just like MS Office. It allows you to create web pages , put them all together into a "site" and upload the whole site at one time.

dreamweaver is the same thing.

wordpress is a blog software that you install on your hosting account. It creates a blog so that you can post whatever you want and let others comment on them. Now it so happens that you can also change up those blog style pages and make them look like normal web pages. However, WP allows you to change, update those pages very easily. That is why it is being used to create regular web sites.

a web site is a website, it does not matter what program you used to create the web pages.

frontpage is just a tool for creating web pages ( and therefore web sites) just like dreamweaver , xsitepro, etc.
A web page is just a web page when you are done.

The html is basically the same no matter what you create it with. ( frontpage and dreamweaver and xsitepro do add a bunch of extra code, but you never see it. )

I think your question should be what type of content should I add to my website to be able to attract the type of visitors that I need.

Of course, you first have to decide what type of visitors you want and exactly what you expect those visitors to do while you have them.

Once you know that, you can then plan the content of your site and the things you have on it. And , use the whatever tool you like, to create it.

If I understand what you are trying to do, then what you need is something that would draw people looking for a mortgage and get them to fill out a form on your site.

For that , you could possibly get away with just a couple of basic pages.

If you have that report you were talking about earlier, you can have a simple page to talk about the report and what the benefit of the info would be to your prospective lead. Then give it to them , put up a simple form to fill out with whatever info you need from them.

let them download the free report after they fill out the form.

then you do whatever it is you are going to do with that lead info.
'
For this type of thing, you do not need a bulletin board, or a blog, or much of anything like that.

The easiest way to do it is with a simple two page site.
On one will be the pitch for the report and on the other will be the form that they fill out.

That form will email you the info, and you can manually email them their free report.

A better way would be the same two page web site.
Only this one will automatically put the form info into a database, automatically send out the free report and automatically followup with that lead to try to sell them something.

My opinion ( you know what they are like ) is that until you have a NEED to be able to blog your opinions about something etc, that you don't worry about wordpress.

If you have frontpage or dreamweaver or any other type of web page creation/design software, then learn how to use it and create your basic web pages.

use that program or just simple ftp to upload those web pages to your hosting account.

once that is done, you will have a website ( collection of web pages ).

you can then expand from there.

luck,
robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby eskimo13 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:57 pm

Robert,
Thanks for the very good, clearly stated information.

I wasn't even part of this discussion but I will benefit from your answer. You've straightened out some misconceptions I already had on this subject.

Thanks again,
Quinn
eskimo13
Elite Member

Yes thanks robert....

Postby edwinnyc » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:48 pm

edwinnyc

Postby robert adams » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:01 pm

all of those are correct.

search engines like google will always find your web pages. google indexes the complete internet, ( billions of web pages ) over and over again.

You do not have to do anything to be indexed in google, etc.

All of SEO type things that people do are to get a better/higher placement in the search engine returns when people search for a search term/phrase that is relevant to your product/site.

WP or other dynamic type scripts make updating your site's content a little easier and sometimes automatic.

Instead of having to edit each of your static web pages manually on your computer and upload them back to the server, you simply log onto the admin panel of WP or whatever type of script you are using, and create a new post/page.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

hey robert....

Postby edwinnyc » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:28 pm

edwinnyc

Re: hey robert....

Postby robert adams » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:45 pm

robert adams
Elite Member

Return to HTML, Web Design & Programming