[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - I love my HTML layout but want to switch to PHP • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

I love my HTML layout but want to switch to PHP

Designing your own website? Need help? Ask your questions and share your favorite resources here... Tables, Forms, Color Scheme & Layout, Scripts, Programs & Resources

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

I love my HTML layout but want to switch to PHP

Postby sgrptch » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:56 pm

I just got an email from my webhost and they just added a ton of new features the One of the items included is a shopping cart, I played with it last night and it is much better than out current... and hopefully won't give me as many problems. It has better features...

Could a few of you check it out and see what you think...

They also have content management systems galore, which I know would help me out a lot. The only problem is, I don't know anything about PHP, and would really like to keep the layout I have now, or a similar one, most PHP sites I've seen don't really have a country store look to them. I love my current design

Can I still get a country store look from PHP? I've never seen a PHP layout with graphics... and the only reason I design websites it I love doing the graphics.

This means yet another redesign doesn't it??? This is as bad as writing a novel... rewrite, rewrite, rewrite lol
Last edited by sgrptch on Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sgrptch

Postby Baggs » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:06 am

PHP is really flexible - you can include it in HTML pages or include HTML in PHP pages.

You will probably find you can keep most of your HTML pages and add php where you need it.

Think of it as PHP letting you do 'clever things' - most importantly pulling data from a database, as well as automating some actions (menus, rotating pictures, that sort of thing).

How much you will be able to customise the shopping cart system I don't know- Ive never played with them before :( But, looking at some of the sample sites on the oscommerce website it would seem you can.

Its nice when hosts add features isn't it :)
Baggs

Postby sgrptch » Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:09 am

sgrptch

Postby Baggs » Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:13 am

Baggs

Postby CorpRebel » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:14 am

Hello,

I'm NO programmer by a long shot, but I recently have tried playing around with PHP a bit. I had gotten Robert Plank's ebook. He's kept things simple by giving ALOT of useful examples and doesn't talk "geek-speak".

Also check out some of his free PHP tutorials at his website. Gives you an idea of things you can do with PHP.

Like I said ... I'm NO programmer but I'm realizing that PHP is kinda KEWL! :mrgreen:

My 3 cents ...

Rick Wilson aka CorpRebel 8)
CorpRebel

Postby alice » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:07 pm

The only thing I would be concerned about is if you move your site to a CMS, all your pages will have new file names...and your visitors from search engines won't be redirected to the new pages. Of course, you can permanently redirect all your pages to the new ones...and hope that you maintain the new rankings.

If your site is new or you don't see a lot of search engine traffic, go for it! It will make your life a lot easier.

Alice
alice

Postby robert adams » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:30 pm

the way you change your existing web pages into php pages is to rename them with a php extension. that is it.

now, if you want to add any php scripts, etc, to the pages, you can.

this forum here is written in php. it uses tpl (template) files for all the pages.
inside the tpl files is just html for all the tables, etc. and css files for the colors, fonts, etc.

the php script loads the overall_header.tpl file which has the logos and menu links at the top, then it loads the index_body.tpl file which has the actual forums and then it loads the overall_footer.tpl file which has the copyright, etc. at the bottom.

It is a little more complicated than that, but not much.

the php script is mainly to call the needed infor about posts, users, and forum titles ,etc. from the database and display the data using the layout from the tpl files.

just some basics on how it all works,

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby alice » Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:30 am

alice

Postby sgrptch » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:23 pm

never had that happen before... typed in a response and it dissapeared. Hmmm.

Anyways I've been playing with it and it was different, but not too difficult. Now how to get the two to blend a bit more seamlessly??? What to do with my navigation... hmmm...

Anyways take a look and see what you think.

love it, hate it... ???
sgrptch

Postby robert adams » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:57 pm

robert adams
Elite Member

Return to HTML, Web Design & Programming