[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - How long does your home page take to download? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

How long does your home page take to download?

Designing your own website? Need help? Ask your questions and share your favorite resources here... Tables, Forms, Color Scheme & Layout, Scripts, Programs & Resources

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

How long does your home page take to download?

Postby Baggs » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:41 am

Do you know? I didn't and checked at .

The page I was looking at took about 45 seconds on a 56.6 modem :o . Using DSL I never think about the multitudue still on dial up, but I know that I woudln't wait that long.

The site recomends 8 seconds is the target.

I have managed to shave this down to about 25 seconds now after an hour or so optimisation. Hopefully I will get some feedback in the traffic logs.

(Just testing Lynn's page at http://www.selfstartersweeklytips.com takes 27 seconds or so
Baggs

Re: How long does your home page take to download?

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:35 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby stephfoster » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:10 pm

My page is a bit slow, but I have it set up so that my text loads early on, so visitors can start reading quickly. Next comes the navigation. I still need to make it so that the very top of my pages loads last, since that's graphics and not so important in a lot of ways. I'm much more concerned that a visitor be able to see my information immediately than just about anything else.

I use CSS for just about everything on my page. That way, all the fonts and everything can be external, and easily made consistent from page to page. That really shrunk the sizes of my pages, and made design easier as well.
stephfoster

Postby Lugie » Wed Jun 16, 2004 12:34 am

Lugie

Postby Anita DeFrank » Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:58 am

:shock: Well, let's just say my main site is in some serious trouble! I think I need to reduce some of my graphics on my home page :roll:

Anita :)
Anita DeFrank

Postby robert adams » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:39 am

hi Anita, I was going to see if I could help you with your logo graphic.
I am on a very fast cable connection, and I watched the logo load which means it is very slow on 56k
I downloaded it and tried to open it in PSP but it is not a good jpg file so I can't open it.

It is 240kb is size, since it only has a couple of colors, you could probably reduce that down considerably by reducing the number of colors in the image.

I just noticed how many graphics you have on the front page. You could optimize them all and probably speed up your site a lot.

check out this link to info about it:
http://www.netmechanic.com/GIFBot/optimize-graphic.htm

luck,
robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby karadawn » Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:04 am

karadawn

Postby nsusa » Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:43 pm

None of my business websites needs more than 9.8 seconds to load. :D For me - that is sufficient enough.

240 KB for an image on a website? That's a killer. Bring it down to 24 KB maximum - rather 12-20 KB if possible. Macromedia Fireworks offers a nice tool - you take an image and specify the file size for the export (GIF,png, or JPG). Also look at the actual image size. Example. The size on the html page used, is 400 X 200 but the actual image size is 1024 x 768. That's where your file size can be .....

Christoph
nsusa

Postby sgrptch » Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:45 pm

20 on 56k not too bad since I really have a lot of junk that could be taken out etc. I think I can work it down to 8
sgrptch

Postby Tim Baxa » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:30 pm

Kara , your site took me about 2 seconds to load.
Tim Baxa

Postby ldylion214 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:03 pm

ldylion214

Postby onlineleben » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:01 am

Checked two of my main sites and got following values for 56 k connections:

site a) 2.71 seconds
site b) 6.32 seconds incl. Amazon iframe

Whatever you do, make your homepage as fastloading as possible. You don't need that much spped on subsequent pages as the user already is accustomed to your site.
Also re-use graphics to speedup download time.
onlineleben

Postby Lynn Terry » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:08 am

Looking at this confirms my assumptions - the Clickalyzer code is my culprit :? Hmmm... It would be really tough to trade off all of that data for faster load time, but it definitely needs to be addressed. I think I'll write to Carl and see if he can come up with any solutions...
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby onlineleben » Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:54 am

Clickalyzer could really be a reason or slowloading pages. That was one of the reasons I didn't continue my 7 day test.

An other one:
use external CSS style sheet and also external Javascript.
This causes the sourcecode files to load only once (they are kept in the browsers cache) and not getting reloaded with every single page.
Big improvement!
onlineleben

Postby ldylion214 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:14 pm

ldylion214

Next

Return to HTML, Web Design & Programming