[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - What size website? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

What size website?

Designing your own website? Need help? Ask your questions and share your favorite resources here... Tables, Forms, Color Scheme & Layout, Scripts, Programs & Resources

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

What size website?

Postby ElevatingYourBusiness » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:45 am

Many websites have been centered on a page and between 650 and 780 px. Centered on a page.

Recently, I'm seeing something where things are going back to 1999/2000 size (100%) like this forum is.

Am I seeing this right? Where do things seem to you now? Where do you see things going?

I ask because we're redoing my website. And before my graphics person finalizes the graphics, I'd like to know that the site is "in style" or will be for a little while ;)

Thanks in advance for your comments.

NOTE: I am cross posting this note to 3 forums.
ElevatingYourBusiness

Postby robert adams » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:59 am

robert adams
Elite Member

Postby ElevatingYourBusiness » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:43 am

ElevatingYourBusiness

Postby robert adams » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:15 am

I usually prefer the site to take up my whole screen ( but not have to scroll ). However, as I said above, I am willing to scroll in order to be able to read the text.

If you have the width fixed at 800 or whatever , so that it leave a border around the page, it just seems like a waste of the screen "real estate" to me.

It almost seems like the page is unfinished or the designer did not know how to make it work at all resolutions.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:03 am

Fixed Width vs Fluid Design - Great topic!

Fluid design can be hard to pull off sometimes - a lot of formatting tweaks. Where as a fixed width (or fixed design) is much easier to control.

I was just thinking about this yesterday, coincidentally. I was looking at ClickNewz.com (blog in sig) and thinking about taking it wider (fluid vs fixed). I'd be interested to hear what others say as well.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby robert adams » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:45 pm

For me, it is perfect just like it is. ( I use 800x600 )

If you make it fluid, I think it would ruin the layout of the page. I tested it in a higher res and it looks good fixed . ( I know what I said above about the borders. )

You can stretch things out to far and make them look silly. So, I guess it depends on the style and layout and of course, personal preference.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Return to HTML, Web Design & Programming