[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Can't remember what it's called...? Easy way to update...? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Can't remember what it's called...? Easy way to update...?

Designing your own website? Need help? Ask your questions and share your favorite resources here... Tables, Forms, Color Scheme & Layout, Scripts, Programs & Resources

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Can't remember what it's called...? Easy way to update...?

Postby LynnWilson » Mon May 17, 2004 5:32 am

LynnWilson

Postby Baggs » Mon May 17, 2004 8:56 am

Baggs

Serverside Includes and HTML includes!

Postby George Hawkins » Thu May 20, 2004 7:03 pm

Most coding is done in the manner that Baggs suggeseted but their is another alternative witch works the same way. HTML includes!

They are written almost the same and I use them frequently because I write code in HTML, DHTML, JAVASCRIPT and ASP. I actually learned this trick from ASP.

PHP is great but for someone that doesn't know that language it is nearly impossible for you to do it with minimal experience with complex coding.

Ready for this!

Example:

Normally you have one file with a select portion of your code that is repetitive, as your navigation. To make it global you want to cut it out from the code and place it in a new HTML file.

Cut it from <Table> to </Table> then what I do is add a comment tag in front of the the <Table> tag to let me know where it was and where it ends.

Once you have this in a new doc strip the page of all other attributes, such as title, body all that.! seriously all of it. Save as nav.html.

Then go back to your original page where you snipped it out and place this in their where the nav use to be.

<!-- Open Navigation -->

<!--#include virtual="includes/nav.html"-->

<!-- Close Navigation -->

This is a comment tag> "<!-- Open Navigation -->" the browser will not render to be seen in the page... it is kind of like an invisible post-it note.

This is an Include tag> "<!--#include virtual="nav.html"-->" this is the file that references the other file that you made that grabs the code that you want to place in the original area that it was in.

This is the closing comment tag > <!-- Close Navigation --> this just tells you where the nav files code ends just good to have a start and end. : )

I personally place a new file folder in my directory so that all my includes are together nice and neat. but you will need to restructure your file directory basically call it to a new folder such as this:

"<!--#include virtual="includes/nav.html"-->" see the "includes/" that tells it to look deeper in a different folder than in the main directory and find the nav file or other includes that you place in there such as headers, footers, nav, etc. etc.

then you are done it is basically a very easy process.

front to back here is a full example:

About us Page:
<body>
<table>
<tr>
<td>
<!--#include virtual="nav.html"-->
</td>
</tr>
</table>
</body>

nav.html Page:

<table border="1" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
<tr>
<td>link 1</td>
<td>link 2</td>
<td>link 3</td>
<td>link 4</td>
</tr>
</table>

that is it... Just make sure on that you talk to the people that handle your hosting that they need to turn on Serverside Includes for your directories....... Tell them that you are using HTML includes "not ASP includes" which work almost identically the same... and you shouldn't have a problem.

Remember you will not be able to see this work until it is hosted on the web... you will not be able to see this working from the desktop. Unless you have like Dreamweaver, they have testing environments that will allow you to see it as you work.. that is how I see them locally but you will probably need to work with these two file examples over the web and it should be no propblem once you have the hosting turn on the "configuration".

Good luck

Any questions? I'll check back to see if it worked for you! hope that made sense... lol
George Hawkins

Postby robert adams » Thu May 20, 2004 9:12 pm

robert adams
Elite Member

Postby LynnWilson » Thu May 20, 2004 10:11 pm

LynnWilson

Yep, sounds like you have a winner.

Postby George Hawkins » Fri May 21, 2004 2:15 pm

I use to be an designer and moved to an Art Director to now be a Director of Online Marketing so I have put in the time to figure such issues out. Your Host should not have a problem with this at all.. and it can be formatted with the SHTML or HTML just depends on how they configure your server for you.. I prefer just HTML so all files read ok and their ends up being less confusion with files later. But yes alot of people use the SHTML file extention.

Good Luck!

Here is an example of the site that I am marketing now. www.emarketingautomation.com and it uses the same principles.

If you would like, you can view my design portfolio at: for any design work you might need. It is not fully up-to-date but if you need to see more just let me know... I have plenty of extra references!

Bye for now.. : )
George Hawkins

Postby altyfc » Mon May 24, 2004 3:58 am

altyfc

Postby CorpRebel » Mon May 24, 2004 9:38 am

CorpRebel

Postby LynnWilson » Mon May 07, 2007 9:44 am

LynnWilson

Postby Zaizen » Tue May 29, 2007 11:16 am

Lynn..i'll try to help you but someone already explain it.. Glad to hear you found the solutions :D

zaIzen's
Zaizen

Return to HTML, Web Design & Programming