[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Starting my web site • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Starting my web site

Designing your own website? Need help? Ask your questions and share your favorite resources here... Tables, Forms, Color Scheme & Layout, Scripts, Programs & Resources

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Starting my web site

Postby Monna Ellithorpe » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:10 pm

I am finally starting work on my web site and I am stumped. The only web site I have created before was just a site that a group of friends and I have on my own ISP free web space and I think it looks pretty hokey myself.

Are there any "guidelines" one should go by (i.e. don't do this, do this, maybe this)?

When do you know it is too much fluff or not enough pizazz?

Can some of you direct me to your sites for ideas or a place I can look for ideas ?
Monna Ellithorpe

Postby Bina Omar » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:03 am

Hi Monna,

Congratulations on starting your web site. You'll find that the so called
'guidelines' are ever changing in the online world. Faster than many would
like. Here's some tips to help you start off.

Define your objective and target audience. This would be your first step.
Before you start you have to figure out what the purpose of your web
site is (business, personal, informational?) You should also try to figure
out who your target audience is. Are they the normal people with a
dial up connection and a simple computer or are they the broadband
users with up to date computer equipment.

Once you know your objective and target audience, the easiest way
to go about designing a web site is to look at what others with similar
sites have done. A great way would be to look at template web sites.
Go to , for example, and check the web sites
for your category to get ideas.

It's best to keep your web site simple, if you're starting out. Keep to a
color scheme and don't use too many graphics. Graphics can easily add
weight to your web site which would make it load slower in someone's
browser. Use graphics only to brand your web site and to complement
your content.

I have a free 7 part course on my web site if you are interested. It gives
you a quick overview of the web building process.

You can find it at:

Anyway, good luck, Monna.
Bina Omar
Elite Member

Postby OpenSouls.com » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:12 am

OpenSouls.com

Some Tips

Postby ImNgraphicDesign » Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:17 pm

Hi there Monna!

A few suggestions for your site...

1.) Do not put background music or sound effects on the site.
2.) Stay away from unprofessional special effects such as cursor chasers and floating images.
3.) I recommend staying away from most free servers. Most add banners and pop-up windows which slows your site down, looks unprofessional and most importantly, annoys many web surfers.

Be sure to check out opensouls' recommended links. I know a few of them are great sites. If you have any questions you can post a message on the board or just drop me an e-mail, I'd be happy to help anytime! Good luck!
ImNgraphicDesign

Postby Monna Ellithorpe » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:25 pm

Thanks every one for all of your suggestions.

I think when I get it ready I will put it up on my ISP free space just for the time being and have everyone give me their opinions before I actually get a real site going.

Can't remember if I asked this before or not. Everyone is talking about doing their own HTML.. is there a reason for that instead of using software that does it for you?
Monna Ellithorpe

Postby OpenSouls.com » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:53 pm

OpenSouls.com

Postby koanwrangler » Sat May 08, 2004 10:16 pm

koanwrangler

Postby robert adams » Sun May 09, 2004 5:16 pm

robert adams
Elite Member

Return to HTML, Web Design & Programming