[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Setting up a password protected website • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Setting up a password protected website

Designing your own website? Need help? Ask your questions and share your favorite resources here... Tables, Forms, Color Scheme & Layout, Scripts, Programs & Resources

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Setting up a password protected website

Postby daniellechonody » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:00 pm

I hope someone can help me with setting up a website that is password protected.

I run a pet sitting business and want a site where my pet sitters can visit to view upcoming jobs. Obviously this site will have personal client details that I don't want others to access.

I have no problem setting up the website - but have no idea how to password protect entry to the site.

Can someone give me some suggestions? Can this be done in the Frontpage design of the site?

Thanks
Danielle
daniellechonody

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:15 pm

I'm not familiar with the features in Frontpage enough to say whether it does or not... but most web hosting accounts come with that option. You can password protect any directory you like.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Johnny » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:48 pm

Johnny

Postby theuniek1 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:44 pm

First question, Danielle: how many users will there be?

This is important because it will help to determine the best method. For instance, Johnny's suggestion would probably be a good one if you were going to have about ten or fewer members because you could set up an account for each and it wouldn't be too difficult to manage from within your hosting account.

(Side note: If you don't have cPanel, you can still set it up with .htaccess, it would just require a couple extra steps.)

Now, if you plan to have a large list of members or sell access, then you should probably look into membership software. A well-known one is aMember. Haven't personally used it, but heard good things. There are also , but always use caution.

~ Teli
theuniek1

Postby rfresh » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:06 pm

Although I work in PHP on Linux, I will explain the way I handle that and you can see the general idea of the structure:

I create a global variable called login_status. For each web page that a user can click on my main nav menu, I check this var for a username. If the user has logged in then this var will have their username - if they have not logged in then it will be empty.

At the top of my main web page forms I have code that checks for a string length of 0 - if it's 0 then I redirect to a page that displays a message "You must be logged in to view this page".
rfresh

Postby Johnny » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:28 pm

For the password protected folder way, you can always create one login id and password. (if this is fine with you)

All members will used the same id.
You tell them that the login information will be changed every month via email.
Johnny

Postby robert adams » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:26 pm

if you have a bulletin board like this one.

you can create private forums on it, then only people that you give permission, can see that forum and post/reply to it.

with private forums and group permissions, you can do all sorts of things like that.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Return to HTML, Web Design & Programming