[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - having problems with validation • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

having problems with validation

Designing your own website? Need help? Ask your questions and share your favorite resources here... Tables, Forms, Color Scheme & Layout, Scripts, Programs & Resources

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

having problems with validation

Postby edwinnyc » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:18 pm

went to validator.w3.org but could not understand what i was doing wrong

anyone knows about this area and could help me when u have time, i am getting errors when i validate my site

here is my site www.mortgage-careers-usa.com

could you visit my site and see what exactly it is that i am doing wrong or missing
edwinnyc

Postby Steve MacLellan » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:50 am

I think you need to have a better understanding of html. For example, the warning from the validator that says:

No DOCTYPE found! Attempting validation with HTML 4.01 Transitional.

...means you aren't using a valid DocType. This is an important and required element for a web pages.

For example, your DTD (Document Type Declaration):

...should be:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

...and you need to have those invalid attributes deleted from your HTML element. You have it as:

<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">

Just delete the above line. You already have another HTML element opened below it. That would take care of about 5 errors.

Error Line 12 column 6: required attribute "TYPE" not specified.

<style>

The attribute given above is required for an element that you've used, but you have omitted it. For instance, in most HTML and XHTML document types the "type" attribute is required on the "script" element and the "alt" attribute is required for the "img" element.

Typical values for type are type="text/css" for <style> and type="text/javascript" for <script>.

So change the style element to read like this:

<style type="text/css"><!--

put your mark-up here

--></style>

Then we move down to where you main table is. You've got a <center> tag opened you don't need as well as a <div =align=center> You can get rid of both of those, including the closing tags that match and add an align=center attribute and value to your <table> tag. But this isn't what the validator is complaining about... it says:

Error Line 47 column 105: there is no attribute "HEIGHT". So you need to remove this attribute from your main table.

Errors 8-11 are complaining about the use of bordercolorlight and bordercolordark, because these were never valid attributes for html. They were introduced as Microsoft browser attributes only, and were never supported by the W3C. You can remove them.

Error 12 says: Error Line 64 column 64: required attribute "ALT" not specified.

ALT tags are required. They give a description of the image, for those who cannot see it.

Error 13 says: # Error Line 252 column 7: "HTML" not finished but document ended.

</html>

This problem will be fixed automatically if you removed the second HTML element in the head of the document:

<html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">

This fixes these problems. That doesn't mean that once these are corrected and you re-validate it that there may not be other errors.

For example you have a number of deprecated elements (like <center> and <font>. Deprecated means they may no longer be supported and should be replaced with new constructs using CSS.

You should also consider moving away from HTML 4.01 and learn to start marking up your documents using XHTML.

Best Regards,
Steve MacLellan
Steve MacLellan

Postby robert adams » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:54 pm

it also looks like you converted the page from a MS Office document to a web page.

this is a big no-no.
use front page, but don't use any of the office products to create the page and then put it in frontpage.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby theuniek1 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:36 pm

Hello Edwin,
Steve already addressed some main problems, but let's see if I can point you to some resources.

The page needs some serious code clean up. You have redundant inline styles - these can be removed from the mark up and placed in its own stylesheet. You also have a number of deprecated tags and proprietary mark up.

You should also reconsider your font selections. Not everyone will have the fonts you've chosen installed on their machine and it's not exactly the easiest on the eyes for general reading.

I'd recommend reading through the following and cleaning up the page accordingly:

Hope those resources prove useful.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

~ Teli
theuniek1

using frontpage

Postby edwinnyc » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:42 am

Hey guys........

A little confused at the moment but will come back for help as I get around to these things, frontpage is generating those things, anyone knows if other frontpage versions do generate those errors, i am using frontpage that came with the system but i do have frontpage 2000 would this help me avoid errors

thanks for feedback
edwinnyc

Return to HTML, Web Design & Programming