[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - What DreamWeaver Training Do You Advice For Me…? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

What DreamWeaver Training Do You Advice For Me…?

Designing your own website? Need help? Ask your questions and share your favorite resources here... Tables, Forms, Color Scheme & Layout, Scripts, Programs & Resources

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

What DreamWeaver Training Do You Advice For Me…?

Postby ozim400 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:58 am

ozim400

NVU WYSIWYG HTML Editor

Postby California Jerry » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:48 am

You may want to look at NVU open source html editor.

Here's a review: www.thesitewizard.com/reviews/nvu.shtml
Here's a tutorial: www.thesitewizard.com/gettingstarted/nvu1.shtml
California Jerry
Elite Member

Postby theuniek1 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:28 pm

Hi Patrick,
There are quite a few learning sources for Dreamweaver.

If you're a visual learner (i.e. you like videos), then I'd suggest visiting (). For text tutorials, there is . Neither of these sites offer free tutorials, however, they are both top quality. If reading a book is your pleasure, then consider .

Off the top of my head, I don't know any free Dreamweaver tutorial resources, but you can always do a .

~ Teli
theuniek1

Postby Alan Petersen » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:11 pm

Check out Video-Tutes, Andrew has many

He's good guy and his tutorials are very helpful. You'll love Dreamweaver, IMO it's the best of the lot.
Alan Petersen
Elite Member

Postby theuniek1 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:07 pm

theuniek1

Postby robert adams » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:23 am

I have a question. Isn't DW still very expensive?

If so, then why do so many people that have no knowledge of web sites and design, spend all that money on something they don't know anything about?

also, just FYI,

if you ever plan on using any type of web based applications like this phpbb bulletin board or any other type of php/mysql scripts. then you will not be able to use DW or FP or any other site builder type of software to install/run them.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby theuniek1 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:24 am

Robert,
To answer your first question - expensive is a relative term based on a person's beliefs and goals. If you're a web company, DW is not expensive. If you're not a web company/developer, then yes, it is expensive. Some people may invest in the product with intentions of learning it for the future and to possibly growing their business using it.

Free alternatives do exist - comes to mind - and I recommend them for people not going into web dev, but DW is pretty much the industry standard.

As for the second part of your comment, I must disagree. You can use Dreamweaver for PHP and just about any other coding language such as VB, Javascript, or AJAX because it allows you to define a local testing environment (you will need to have the software installed on your computer, for instance, if you're testing PHP applications/designs), therefore, tweaking/testing phpBB or WordPress themes or any other PHP based application with Dreamweaver is not a problem.

Dreamweaver also goes a step further and will parse the HTML of a page to display it in design view. That means, if you have a basic layout with a few PHP snippets sprinkled throughout, then PHP will show you what the design will look like (as best it can) and add a little icon to note where the PHP code exists in the page.

This is an advantage over blindly installing the software on a production site and praying there aren't any problems with it.

~ Teli
theuniek1

Postby robert adams » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:17 am

that is not what I said. If, for instance, you are wanting to edit any of the files for this bulletin board here ( phpbb ), and you open the file in DW, it will most likely corrupt that file. If you use DW to "publish" this phpbb software to your server, it will almost always corrupt the files during transfer.

programs like DW and Frontpage and golive, and other wysiwyg web site builders, add bits of code to the files when you use them, php and tpl files will not work when that happens.
I repair phpbb installs and edits every day that have been ruined this way.

Now, if you really know how to use DW etc. then you may be able to use them without this problem.

However, most people do not know how to use them properly.

Also, having said that, it goes back to my first question. The current cost of $400 US for DW is rather steep for someone who just wants to put up a personal website, especially if they are beginners.

I was not talking about web designers, etc.

What I deal with is people that are putting up personal sites, or adsense sites that want to install a bulletin board on their site.
DW is fine for the rest of the site, but not for phpbb or any other php/mysql based web apps.

In my not so smart opinion, even web pages created with it are hard to work with if you do not have DW and know how to use it.

If you start trying to edit, update, the regular html pages created with it, you often find problems with directory paths, for images, etc. that are different from standard.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby theuniek1 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:53 am

theuniek1

Return to HTML, Web Design & Programming