[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - 1 and 1 Hosting • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

1 and 1 Hosting

Designing your own website? Need help? Ask your questions and share your favorite resources here... Tables, Forms, Color Scheme & Layout, Scripts, Programs & Resources

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

1 and 1 Hosting

Postby uniquelyyours » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:17 pm

Hi

Has anyone used 1 and 1 for hosting their sites. I have just received the service free for 3 years but I am not familiar with a great deal of what is presented on the site. I will be reading the manual this evening but for now I would just like some comments if anyone has used them, heard of them or know someone who has and the experiences as a result. Thanks

uniquelyyours
uniquelyyours

Postby SBSbookkeeping » Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:21 pm

I took them up on their "free for 3 years deal" too, and switched over about a month ago. I must admit I haven't had time to mess with it too much, and I only e-mailed support about the uploading problem, so some of my annoyances may be easily resolved; just haven't had time to pursue them.

My impressions so far:

1.) So far, uptime has been good. haven't been down (that I know of) yet.

2.) Not sure if it was just me, but I wasn't able to upload my site till my domain name propogated (and, yes, I tried using the IP address, not my domain name). Once it propogated, I had no problems.

3.) One thing I don't like is how retrieving your webmail is handled. You have to sign into your account, go to webmail, launch webmail, and then log in AGAIN to the webmail program. My previous host (they used CPanel and had a choice of 3 webmail programs), I was able to bookmark a link to my webmail, and just log in once. a lot fewer steps than with 1and1. But, once I'm logged in, I do like their mail program.

4.) They have a built-in stats program, but I liked the program my other host used better. This one I can't seem to get as much detail. I use Extreme Tracking on my main page, which I really like, so I tend to use that more. I will probably look into other stats programs later.

5.) It's supposed to come with some free programs that I have not yet been able to download. They're not anything I really need at the moment, though, so I haven't e-mailed support about it yet (other priorities at the moment). Actually, haven't tried lately, so maybe that problem's been resolved.

6.) Came with a Google Ad Words voucher I haven't used yet. I really need to get moving with that, I guess.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Overall, though, it's worked out well for me so far. I probably wouldn't have switched, except I was up for renewal with my other host, and I purchased a site-buildit site that I plan on using once I revamp my website, but since I'm really busy with tax season it won't be ready for a while.

Let me know if you run into problems that maybe I can help you with.

Lynne
SBSbookkeeping

Postby Chris Bailey » Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:38 pm

Chris Bailey

Postby uniquelyyours » Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:58 pm

Yes that is how I got it as well, but I already had joined google in fact I don't know what I did with the information on the voucher. I guess I should ask if they will still honor some part of it since I already joined.

Thanks Lynne, I finally activated the service today after 2 weeks of getting the email. I tried setting up the email but no luck, the control panel or user area is a bit confusing for me as well. It took me 15 minutes to find the main area so I could get to the nuts and bolts of the controls. I will try to read on it tonight, thanks for offering the help I will be back. lol

Thanks to both of you very much. :)

uniquelyyours

uniquelyyours

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:41 am

Are they still offering the 3-years-free deal with the $25 Adword Voucher? I looked, but didnt see the offer on the site...
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Chris Bailey » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:00 am

I think it expired sometime around January 21.

Chris B.
Chris Bailey

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:06 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby OpenSouls.com » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:38 pm

If you're using their email, here is a shortcut, go to:

https://webmail.perfora.net/

and log in with your username = USER@DOMAIN.COM
and your regular password, works fine for me.

I love the Database creator, saved a bit of time, and even managed to get phpMyAdmin up and running after ssh-ing into my account. What a great tool.

This is my third host and I'm loving them!

Jeff
OpenSouls.com

Postby CorpRebel » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:12 pm

Hmmm ...

I signed up for it around the middle of December and got around to going thru it all last month. Thought, what the heck ... It's free and maybe I'd set up a small site. Well ... I'm NOT impressed.

I don't find the control panel/admin area user friendly at all. It takes forever to access it and I'm back on a fast connection now and have NO problems whatsoever with any of my other websites - just them. Real Pain.

So for the time being anyway, it hasn't been worth the effort for me. I'm gonna just let it lie dormant. A shame ...

But having said all this negative about 1&1, I can't complain about the price at all! :lol:

A couple of the downloads were definitely worth the effort so it's NOT a total loss for me.

Ok ... OFF my Image for now.

To YOUR Online Success!

Rick Wilson aka CorpRebel 8)
CorpRebel

Postby OpenSouls.com » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:35 am

OpenSouls.com

Postby SBSbookkeeping » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:18 pm

SBSbookkeeping

Postby uniquelyyours » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:52 pm

uniquelyyours

Return to HTML, Web Design & Programming