[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Is it Better to Put HTML Pages into Folders? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Is it Better to Put HTML Pages into Folders?

Designing your own website? Need help? Ask your questions and share your favorite resources here... Tables, Forms, Color Scheme & Layout, Scripts, Programs & Resources

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Is it Better to Put HTML Pages into Folders?

Postby tot » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:54 am

Hi there,

I've always placed my files into folders. For example, articles go in the articles folder and so on. I keep only a few pages at the top level.

Is there any advantage to keeping ALL pages at the top level?
tot
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:14 pm

Actually, I love directories for organization purposes. It makes file management much easier! Plus the directory name becomes part of the URL, giving you an opportunity to fit more keywords into the page URL ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Steve MacLellan » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:33 pm

Don't get carried away with it though...

Think of directories as projects; this project goes here and this other goes there...

Yesterday I was working on a site for a client. There were 8 pages to the project. She asked me to put each page in it's own directory so she can give out the urls without an extension... you know, www.something.com/somethingelse

Since her site is not the only one I work on ( I have one client with over 60 websites), I won't remember the directory structure for the project files, and all of the related files have the same name: index.html (because they are all in their own directory)

These 8 webpages also used a total of 3 CGI scripts.

The next time I go to work on this site I will have forgotten what has been done, and each time I go to work on this project she can expect an extra 30 minutes added to her cost just because it will take me that long to re-learn the structure of this particular project.

I'm all about organization... just don't go overboard. This message hasn't even touched on the issue of portability.

Regards,
Steve MacLellan
Steve MacLellan

Postby tot » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:23 pm

Most likely, I'll have a lot of pages per folder. I'm going to put them in folders. I like that idea of having an extra keyword in there. =)
Thanks for weighing in!
tot
Elite Member

Return to HTML, Web Design & Programming