[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Structuring a local test server to work with subdomains • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Structuring a local test server to work with subdomains

Designing your own website? Need help? Ask your questions and share your favorite resources here... Tables, Forms, Color Scheme & Layout, Scripts, Programs & Resources

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Structuring a local test server to work with subdomains

Postby RKramkowski » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:21 am

RKramkowski

Postby calvinchin » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:43 pm

calvinchin

Postby jaidai » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:15 am

In the control panel of your hosting account, there should be a link that is called "sub-domains", "sub-directories" or something similar. Just click on that and follow the directions - Which usually will just be something like typing the what you want to name the folder.

Your sub domain should be created after that.

If you named your sub domain something like "test", then you should be able to go to test.yoursitename.com and see whatever you have put in that folder.

If your host does not offer you this kind of ease in creating sub domains, you should consider a different host.
jaidai

Postby robert adams » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:19 am

to explain a little better for you;

on your paid host, when you create a subdomain, it is just an alias that points at a folder in your root.

so, on your home server, just create a folder in the root like you know how to do, then , when and if you decide to upload your site the the real server, you create the subdomain first, then you upload the complete folder of the same name, from your computer to the hosting server and you are done.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Clarification of what I'm trying to figure out.

Postby RKramkowski » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:09 am

Thanks for the responses. Let me get more specific as to what's going on. I'm sure a lot of it is just that I'm not too familiar with Dreamweaver.

I own a domain (let's call it www.mysite.com). I've set the structure up on the hosting site. I have a mysite folder in the www folder. I also used Cpanel and set up a subdomain (let's call it sub1.mysite.com).

On my local PC, I downloaded WAMP for windows, which includes the Apache server, MySQL, and PHP. It installs flawlessly and I can see their welcome page. I go into the www folder in the WAMP folder and create folders called mysite and sub1 so it looks like the structure on my host. Since WAMP has no Cpanel, I created these directories through Windows (so how does it know sub1 is a subdomain of mysite?)

I'm using Dreamweaver to build my sites - predominantly PHP scripts. I go into the "Manage Sites" option and create new. I name it "mysite WIP" for work-in-progress. I understand this name has no bearing on the site itself but is only a label so I can easily find it in the list of sites within Dreamweaver.

So my first stumbling block is when it asks for the HTTP address of my site. I put in www.mysite.com. I'm assuming it wants the address on the hosting site. I know that to access my index.php file on the local server, I use HTTP://localhost/mysite (which is different than how I access it on the host - HTTP://www.mysite.com).

On the next page, I set it to use PHP MySQL.

On the third page, I store my files in t:\websites\mysite WIP\ for this site.

On the fourth page, it asks for the URL to browse to the root. I put in HTTP://localhost/mysite/ and when I hit the test button it, it works. But if I put HTTP://localhost/sub1.mysite/, it tells me it cannot use the prefix I entered to display live data. So I put it back to HTTP://localhost/mysite/.
When I hit the "Next" button, it returns with "The site URL prefix [/mysite] for the testing server does not match the site URL prefix[] specified in the HTTP address for the site. This may cause pages using site relative links to display incorrectly at runtime. Proceed anyway?" I select Yes.

Before I go any further, Im trying to get it set up so I don't get those messages. I suspect that if I don't, I may have internal page link issues when I move the site up to the hosting server.

I'm missing something and havent found out what it is yet. I've found many websites that talk about using Dreamweaver to develop websites but have found virtually nothing on how to set up test sites like this so everything will flow through properly from the directory where I'm storing files - to the development of the website - to the test server - and eventually FTPing to the host without any links breaking. I know DW is good at maintaining relative links but that is only once the basic structure is set up right. ](*,)

Thanks,
Bob
RKramkowski

Postby robert adams » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:12 am

your first problem is trying to use DW to create php based sites. then, DW is designed to create and maintain websites online, why not just use it to create the site, then use it to publish/upload the site to the server instead of trying to make it work on your computer.

however, I don't know how you can use DW to create php based sites anyway.

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby jaidai » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:01 am

One of the main reason developers use dreamweaver is its ease to create dynamic sites (whether it being php, asp, etc.) So you are headed in the right direction. Dreamweaver does much more than just static sites. Once you get a hang of it, you'll love it!

I am assuming that you want to test the site on your computer (testing server) first before uploading it to your live host - correct?

I use a mac, simply because it is so much simpler to use it as test server than a pc, but the process should be similar. Since you have MySQL, PHP, Apache (WAMP) working correctly this should be pretty painless.

Step 1 - In dreamweaver go to Site/new Site (use basic site definition)

Step 2 - Site Definition/Editing Files
Only fill in the "What would you like to name your site?" question. Leave the "What is the HTTP address (URL) of your site?" question blank.
Click "next>"

Step 3 - Site Definition/Editing Files, Part 2
Under "Do you want to work with a server technology..."
Click "Yes, I want..." then
Choose the PHP/MySql option
Click "next>"

Step 4 - Site Definition/Editing Files, Part 3
Under "How do you want to work with your files during development" choose "edit and test locally"
then under "Where on your computer do want to store your files" input the path the folder where your site files will be and
Click "next>"

Step 5 - Site Definition/Testing Files
Under "How do you connect to your remote server"
choose "Local/network"
then under "What folder on your server do you want to store our files in" input the path the folder where your site files will be and

Click "next>"

Step 6 - Site Definition/Testing Files, Part 2
Under "what url would you use to browse to the root of your site"
choose Input the root folder of your site

Click "next>"

Step 7 - Site Definition/Sharing Files
Under "Do yo want to enable checking in..."
choose "No, do not enable..."

Click "next>"

Step 8 - Site Definition/Summary
Click "done"

you should be all set up. If not, the problem will mostly likely be that the root folder url (step 6) is not set up correctly.

Also here is a link to a great article on running php applications using dreamweaver: http://www.sitepoint.com/article/macrom ... mweaver-mx

You can also go to adobe.com and check their support section as well. and the help section inside of dreamweaver can walk you through also.

Have Fun!
jaidai

Postby RKramkowski » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:24 pm

RKramkowski

Postby jaidai » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:24 pm

The step six url should be whatever WAMP gives you as the url to your root folder.

It could be something as simple as C:/mysite or something like http://mysite/
but this root url is what ever is set up in WAMP.

Deadlinks issue - Most dead links occur because of outgoing links (to other sites). If the site you are working on does not need too much n the area of maintenance then I would only be concerned when it comes to outside site links. But I believe you can use dreamweaver to search for dead links on a live site, I haven't tested this to know if it is true, but I have heard this rumor more than once.

Redirection to subdomains - if by redirection to sub domains you mean if someone goes to www.somesite.com, the server automaticly sends them to folder2.somesite.com then do this:

Inside of the main folder of somesite.com you should have your homepage called index (as in index.html, index.htm, index.php, etc).

1. create your subfolder [name it "folder2"] and make a homepage file in that folder, call it "index.php". set this folder up to be a subdomain - I have never used WAMP for that so you will need to look at WAMPs Documentation

2. now go to your main folder and also create a file named "index.php"

At this point you should have 2 folders your main folder and your subfolder. And in each of these folders you should have a file named "index.php".

3. In Dreamweaver, While the main folder's "index.php" file is open, go to Insert > HTML > Head Tags > Refresh.

4. When The refresh window pops open input the following:
Delay: 0 seconds
Action: Go to Url
[click the browse button and locate the index.php file that is in the subfolder.]

Click OK

5. Now when you go to www.somesite.com, your browser will automaticly take you to folder2.somesite.com
jaidai

Postby RKramkowski » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:59 pm

RKramkowski

RKramkowski, how did you get it all working?

Postby webbiz » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:55 pm

Hi,
To RKramkowski

I’m trying to do the same as you have done. That is using sub domain names with Dreamweaver in a WAMP environment. Do you have more details as to how you achieved this in the end? My problem is that it needs to mimic the live server as the sub domain pages include inserts/files from other folders under the root.

Thanks,
Lance
webbiz

Still working on it!

Postby RKramkowski » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:26 pm

Hi Lance,

I just had to go through a total rebuild of my development computer, including reinstalling and reconfiguring everything. Whatta pain! Anyway, I still haven't gotten it to work the way I'd like. I have similar situations but also add to that Wordpress blogs and multiple domains. I did find out that there are several things that must be enabled in the Apache server for Dreamweaver. I'm not at my regular PC at the moment though and don't remember offhand which ones they were.

If I ever do figure it out, I'll post here.
RKramkowski

Return to HTML, Web Design & Programming