[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - How do you build a website? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

How do you build a website?

Designing your own website? Need help? Ask your questions and share your favorite resources here... Tables, Forms, Color Scheme & Layout, Scripts, Programs & Resources

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

About Networking

Postby Steve MacLellan » Sat Jun 07, 2003 3:52 pm

Steve MacLellan

Hello Steve

Postby James Mann » Sat Jun 07, 2003 4:58 pm

James Mann

Truro

Postby Steve MacLellan » Sat Jun 07, 2003 5:58 pm

Steve MacLellan

That is not too far away at all.

Postby James Mann » Sat Jun 07, 2003 7:29 pm

I was in a business with another guy about a year and half ago and he
took me to the cleaners.

I tried to get back on my feet by selling things off.

I sold my brand new Sony Vega to a guy in Turo.

We got hit hard and actually lost everything and we are now living in
a duplex. But we are debt free so we came out of it with an new outlook
on things. (a little more care in who I do business with)

And now I am starting to get visitors to my inetstrategiesinc.com web site
so things are looking way up.

It would be nice to actually meet you at some point in the future.

Here is my phone # 506 858-8814.

I live in my office so I am home all the time. If you are ever driving
through Moncton feel free to give a call.

I love fly-fishing and float tubing for bass and pickerel also.

Now I'm babbling...

Talk to you later.
James Mann

Postby Steve MacLellan » Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:47 am

Steve MacLellan

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:10 am

Wow - I missed out on a great conversation while I was out! Welcome to the SSWT Forum, Steve - glad to have you here :D
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

How to build a website

Postby navajostar » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:08 pm

Sorry I haven't posted back. Thanks James for the kind words. :D No we haven't met. I've been lurking around for quite some time. I believe Emit was wanting to know who else does website development. Well, I've been trying my hand in it for almost a year now. I use Dreamweaver which is a similar program as Frontpage, but I enjoy DW much better. So far I've developed and maintain two sites. I've been learning so much ever since I've met Lynn. I'm self taught for the most part and have recently decided to take some classes to get a better grasp on what I want to learn. Yes it is VERY advisable to make sure your instructor knows what they are talking about. I just had a situation like that myself and there is nothing more frustrating. The reason I decided to take additional classes is that I learn a lot quicker in a classroom environment and speaking with like minded people. There is a lot to learn and it can get confusing. I definitely know a lot more than I did a year ago, but I still have a lot more to learn! It's fun and exciting learning how to do site design and maintenance. My boyfriend is a tattoo artist/artist and he has been a big help to me on the designing end where I feel is my weak point. So together, I feel we make a great team!

I did have a few questions for anyone who would be so kind to help me out. I'm getting ready to advertise for website design and maintenance (mainly focusing on maintenance) and was wondering what other payments are easy for me to take? Right now I can accept money orders and checks. I know Lynn has mentioned accepting payments online where your checking account will get drafted. Lynn, do you still sell that program? Also, IF I didn't take payments online how do I make sure they will pay me? What do you do if the client doesn't pay you in a timely manner or at all?

Also, I have a really silly question. If I take on a new client who has been doing their website with FrontPage and I use Dreamweaver, will it pose a problem with the code? If so, how would I remedy that situation?

Thanks in advance! :D
Angela
Canman Creations
www.canmancreations.com
navajostar

Re: How to build a website

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:54 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:37 pm

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:41 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby WAHumor » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:42 pm

WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby navajostar » Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:27 pm

navajostar

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:10 pm

Traffic that doesnt equal sales isnt good traffic - or isnt where you want to put your dollars and time. You'll want to consider two things: your websites conversion rate (converting visitors to customers) and whether anything needs to be done to improve it... and whether you are reaching your targeted market. 25 highly targeted visitors a day would be way more beneficial than 250 visitors (quality versus quantity).

I am not sure, but I believe you are referring to your "meta tags" above. Sharon & Roy would be who you'd want to talk to about Search Engine Optimization and 'keyword phrases'. You might look under the Internet Marketing topic here at the Forum and possibly contact them and ask if they could come throw in some tips here at this post for you.

Hope that helps :D
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby navajostar » Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:31 pm

Lynn wrote:
Traffic that doesnt equal sales isnt good traffic - or isnt where you want to put your dollars and time.

You are absolutely correct! We're are considering exactly what you wrote in the first paragraph. We thought by going with the largest and most popular tattoo site known, that would be one of the best ways to hit our target market. That's why I said we do better with self promotion in person (conventions, door to door which is very time consuming and expensive), however, I'm missing the boat on how to improve our conversation rate on the web. Make sense? And yes, I agree with you, I would rather have quality instead of quantity.

I will jump on the Internet Marketing for questions on meta tags. Thanks.
Angela
Canman Creations
www.canmancreations.com
navajostar

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:47 pm

Cool - you'll find some great SEO (search engine optimization) tips in the Internet Marketing forum... there's so much more to it than Meta Tags nowadays (and I think I'm correct in saying that many of the search engines dont even read meta tags anymore). I am learning so much about it lately, but still would be like the blind leading the blind at this point LOL compared to what Sharon & Roy could share with you ;)

There were two good links for learning more about SEO in detail in last week's issue of Self-Starters Weekly Tips - you can find that issue online now at http://www.SelfStartersWeeklyTips.com to get those links - should also prove helpful.

Keep us posted on your findings & progress! :D
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to HTML, Web Design & Programming