This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Who cut their grass today?

The completely OFF TOPIC forum :-)

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Who cut their grass today?

Postby terrapin719 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:20 am

It's a beautiful Sunday afternoon here in Virginia, and I think I'm the only person on the street that hasn't cut my grass or done any yard work today.

I had to shut my windows and take my allergy medicine from everyone else cutting their grass so early this morning -lol- I didn't feel like being out there working on my yard .... and hubby can't cut the grass because he's still recovering from his recent foot surgeries.

So, are you a Sunday grass cutter like my neighbors?
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby angienewton » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:36 am

Haven't had a chance to mow the lawn yet here in IL. I love to do it because of the exercise. As for other yard work, blech. Not me!

The one thing I wish was banned around here is burning of leaves and stuff. We have a macaw and can't keep the windows open when people decide to burn. It drives me nuts and also gives me a headache. When it's nice out, I get up really early to get the house aired out before they start burning.

OK, got a bit off topic, sorry LOL
angienewton
Elite Member

Postby terrapin719 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:41 am

A lot of cities have ordinances against burning. I'm always surprised when they don't. A lot of places allow it only on a certain day of the week it seems, and between certain hours.
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby eskimo13 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:16 pm

I haven't had to cut grass yet this year. It's only been a couple of weeks since the earth 'woke up' around here. It won't be long till I'll be cutting the grass up close to the house, which we've deemed to be 'the yard'. The rest of the grassy area is going to be 'hayed', we expect.

We've only been on this property since October and we're expecting that one of the neighbors we've met will come over a couple of times over the summer and cut it without charge in exchange for the hay. That's our arrangement so far.

In fact, after we got home from church this morning and were just sitting down to lunch, we heard machinery coming up our driveway and it was this same neighbor on his tractor. He came over unannounced to 'cut' my wife's garden for her. He spoke a few days ago about doing this for us, but we didn't expect him today. So we turned our lunch into a picnic and ate while watching him go back and forth over the garden area.

We took a bunch of pictures too, which my wife will feature on her next blog post, I'm sure. See http://www.HeavenScentFarms.com (nothing's for sale there. Yet.) and look for the blue tractor. The neighbor's name is Guy. He's a very interesting character and we look forward to knowing him.

We live on a 27 acre property on a road that has about 15 farms, and it turns out that the majority of the residents on this street are related to each other. We are slowly getting to know the relationships and the personalities and the history of the area.

So, yard work? There will always be yard work here, of one kind or another, but now it will have a different focus. I've always been a 'city boy' and keeping up with the yard work has always been a sort of two purpose prospect. You want to show pride in your own property and concern for keeping it up, and, while it's sometimes hard to admit, you care what the neighbors think too.

Here on the farm, there's a profit motive to throw into the mix. "How can I best maximize the space I've been blessed with?"

Quinn
eskimo13
Elite Member

Postby mellymom3 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:30 pm

Up here in the North we are just starting to enjoy the colour coming out in our grass. It will still be awhile before we have to cut it.

It is getting to be a nice temperature finally. We went out for a walk with just a long sleeved shirt today. (my 2 yr old was so thrilled not to have to put a coat on).

It is funny though how many people seem to come out of the woodwork as soon as nice weather rolls around. During the winter you never can tell how many neighbours you have.
mellymom3

Postby TorontoCarol » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:55 pm

Don't be so quick to say it's getting warmer up here Melanie. Snow is forecast for the next two days. Glad you got grandson out today anyway.
TorontoCarol
Elite Member

Postby mellymom3 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:15 pm

Great, just what I wanted to hear. SNOW!? Oh well. We were lucky this year I guess with not too many freezing cold days, although a lot of snow and rain.

Guess, the gas/heat will have to stay on a couple more days.

Thanks for the heads up, Carol.
mellymom3

Postby Mel » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:54 am

We mowed last week. It didn't really need it, but there were wild onions and such that were sprouting up higher than the grass which drives DH nuts. :lol:

We live on 28 acres and we have one acre for 'yard' then another 5 acres that we keep mowed for the kids to use (trampoline, basketball, bonfires, etc). The rest is wooded thank goodness or we'd be haying it like eskimo mentioned.
Mel

Postby tknoppe » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:58 am

Haven't cut the grass here, but we need to buy a new riding mower before we can. Plan on doing that this week. Of course this AM, snow flakes are flying - so not exactly grass cutting weather. LOL
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby terrapin719 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:54 am

Well, no raking or mowing today for us, it's storming here again. This is the first time in 5 years that we've had a yard to take care of, and I'm so unprepared after 5 years of apartment life -lol- Before that we had a yard, tomato plants, sunflowers, and all the things you do when you have a yard. I don't know if I remember how to do all that anymore! :lol:
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby mellymom3 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:17 am

yup. it's true. woke up this morning to a blanket of snow. the yucky kind that is very wet and will soom be a patio skating rink.

hope it doesn't last for too much longer. this weather is depressing!
mellymom3

Return to Coffee Break!