This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

What charities are you involved with?

The completely OFF TOPIC forum :-)

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

What charities are you involved with?

Postby terrapin719 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:05 pm

I know a lot of folks are involved with the 3-day walks, and with raising funds for various charities. What are you favorites, what do you participate in etc? Let's share and see if we can't drum up some inspiration here.

I love Make-a-Child-Smile, and I've donated to Love Quilts a few times. I haven't done a 3-day myself yet, but I have sponsored several people. I'm hoping to do the 3-day myself next year as well. Usually when I see someone raising money for any of the cancer charities I'll pitch in a few dollars if I have it available at the moment.
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby angienewton » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:35 pm

No charities here. We have donated in the past to firefighter's fund and others like that and even donated a van we had (so much for a tax break on that LOL).

But I have been looking at Compassion.com and would love to sponsor a child but would really love to be able to go over to a different country to help with anything they might need. It's something I have been thinking about recently, just no final decisions.

This is a great topic! Looking forward to seeing what others have to say.
angienewton
Elite Member

Postby goaskmom » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:35 am

Other than our church, we're mostly involved with a missions organization that goes to Central America and builds facilities, runs medical clinics, and conducts teaching seminars. Not to brag or anything - okay, I'm bragging - it's run by my parents, who are in their 70's. They started the organization when they 'retired' ten years ago.

A couple of years back, my husband and I, along with our four sons, helped my parents celebrate their 50th anniversay by going to Guatemala and building a house for a family of 8 that had been living in a shack. It remains one of the most gratifying and humbling things we have ever done.

The organization is called http://www.lendahandmissionteams.org.
goaskmom

Kiva.org & DonrsChooice.org

Postby createyourdream » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:01 am

These 2 online organizations are my faves. The http://kiva.org is a lending charity where you provide, say, $25, as a loan to a person setting up a business somewhere in the world, and they pay it back! I've reinvested the amount paid back to me into other businesses.

So, while I'm learning to fish, I'm helping others to fish too!

The other is http://www.donrschoice.org. Teachers present their request with a plan of how they are going to spend the money for their classroom. You can browse through projects and donate a small amount toward one. I love this because you get to know teachers and their students. I actually got a package as a thank you, with pictures of what the teacher and class did with the money.

This is my favorite prosperity secret! Whatever you give, will be returned to you a hundredfold! It really is true, especially with the joy that comes from giving.

Best for now,
Mary
createyourdream
Elite Member

Postby Oregon Coast Guy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:45 pm

Feed the Children
Bible League
Portland Rescue Mission

Regards,

Tony Thomas :wink:
Oregon Coast Guy

Postby tknoppe » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:46 pm

My church, of course and the missionaries we support through that: we also sponsor a child through WorldVision and have for many years.

No other regular charities that we are involved in or donate to. We give as we feel lead to.
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby angienewton » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:27 pm

This is great! I have never heard of some of these and will be sure to check them out.
angienewton
Elite Member

Postby ChristineG » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:57 am

AWI--Animal Welfare Institute
http://www.awionline.org/
ChristineG

Postby CaraM » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:22 pm

I'm personally very involved with March Of Dimes. Not only do we do The March For Babies (was this past weekend - still recovering LOL) but my son and I have gone out to local events with our chapter to speak. My son was born 12 weeks early, so mission to "give every baby their 9 months" is very near and dear to my heart.

We also give annually to the Make A Wish Foundation. A former co-worker of mine had a wish granted for his son who was dying from leukemia. Ever since then, we've donated our Discover Card Cash Back Bonus to the foundation.

I'm also an active volunteer with our local animal shelter (yep, I scoop the poop) and our church.
CaraM
Elite Member

Return to Coffee Break!