[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - I wnt you to think of this • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

I wnt you to think of this

The completely OFF TOPIC forum :-)

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

I wnt you to think of this

Postby noviorbis » Thu May 15, 2008 12:40 am

Water, water everywhere and we are duped into buying it bottled.

Consumers spend a collective $100 billion every year on bottled water in the belief--often mistaken, as it happens--that this is better for us than what flows from our taps, according to environmental think tank the Earth Policy Institute (EPI).

For a fraction of that sum, everyone on the planet could have safe drinking water and proper sanitation, the Washington, D.C.-based organization said this week.

Members of the United Nations have agreed to halve the proportion of people who lack reliable and lasting access to safe drinking water by the year 2015. To meet this goal, they would have to double the $15 billion spent every year on water supply and sanitation.

''While this amount may seem large, it pales in comparison to the estimated $100 billion spent each year on bottled water,'' said EPI researcher Emily Arnold.

''There is no question that clean, affordable drinking water is essential to the health of our global community,'' Arnold said. ''But bottled water is not the answer in the developed world, nor does it solve problems for the 1.1 billion people who lack a secure water supply. Improving and expanding existing water treatment and sanitation systems is more likely to provide safe and sustainable sources of water over the long term.''

Worldwide, bottled water consumption surged to 154 billion liters (41 billion gallons) in 2004, up 57 percent from 98 billion liters in 1999, EPI said in a written analysis citing industry data.

By one view, the consequences for the planet and for consumers' purses are horrifying.

''Even in areas where tap water is safe to drink, demand for bottled water is increasing--producing unnecessary garbage and consuming vast quantities of energy,'' said Arnold. ''Although in the industrial world bottled water is often no healthier than tap water, it can cost up to 10,000 times more.''

At up to $2.50 per liter ($10 per gallon), bottled water costs more than gasoline in the United States.

A close look at the multibillion-dollar bottled water industry renewed Arnold's affection for the faucet.

Tap water comes to us through an energy-efficient infrastructure whereas bottled water must be transported long distances--and nearly one-fourth of it across national borders--by boat, train, airplane, and truck. This ''involves burning massive quantities of fossil fuels,'' Arnold said.

By way of example, in 2004 alone, a Helsinki company shipped 1.4 million bottles of Finnish tap water 4,300 kilometers (2,700 miles) to Saudi Arabia. And although 94 percent of the bottled water sold in the United States is produced domestically, some Americans import water shipped some 9,000 kilometers from Fiji and other faraway places to satisfy demand for what Arnold termed ''chic and exotic bottled water.''

More fossil fuels are used in packaging the water. Most water bottles are made with polyethylene terephthalate, a plastic derived from crude oil. ''Making bottles to meet Americans' demand for bottled water requires more than 1.5 million barrels of oil annually, enough to fuel some 100,000 U.S. cars for a year,'' Arnold said.

Worldwide, some 2.7 million tons of plastic are used to bottle water each year.

Once it has been emptied, the bottle must be dumped. According to the Container Recycling Institute, 86 percent of plastic water bottles used in the United States become garbage or litter. Incinerating used bottles produces toxic byproducts such as chlorine gas and ash containing heavy metals tied to a host of human and animal health problems. Buried water bottles can take up to 1,000 years to biodegrade.

Of the bottles deposited for recycling in 2004, the United States exported roughly 40 percent to destinations as far away as China--meaning that even more fossil fuels were burned in the process.
noviorbis

Postby rfresh » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:15 pm

rfresh

Postby dgridley » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:14 pm

dgridley

water water

Postby auntiej » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:55 am

I alwas buy the evion water it tastes so good ice cold but, I know it is missing the floride found in tap water. I also hope it is missing the legal level of fecal material allowed by the fda in tap water.
auntiej

Postby robert adams » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:40 am

[soapbox]
are you aware that most bottled water ( not sure about evian) is simply tap water run through a decent filter?

water has no taste unless there is some chemical or mineral or additive in it.

you are much better off missing the chloride.
who decided we needed a very caustic chemical in our drinking water?
[/soapbox]

robert
robert adams
Elite Member

Postby dgridley » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:51 am

Bottled water has got to be one of the most profitable scams perpetrated on the American people.. I can see bottled water where there's doubt about the water or if you have "hard" water but generally it's a ripoff! (IMO)
dgridley

Postby robert adams » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:28 pm

robert adams
Elite Member

Postby Ellen C. Braun » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:33 pm

When marketers were thinking of a name for bottled water, they decided to spell "naive" backwards... hence Evian!
Ellen C. Braun
Elite Member

Postby KansasDragon » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:33 pm

The one part being missed here..

Even if people quit drinking bottled water today, right now, this moment.. Does not make that money available for building new water treatment plants, drilling new wells, etc. That money happens to belong to the people who earned it, who would just spend it on something else of their choice, as they should. And personally, I'd really prefer that government agencies not choose to extract my "bottled water" money, for purposes of their choice.

If you want to discuss inefficiencies, then we need to look at government programs.

Now, if you want to tax me a nickel for every bottle of water, in order to increase clean water resources world wide. Go for it, at least it remains my choice to either buy or not buy.

As for bottled water. I like to keep a 6 pack in the trunk of the car, don't know when I might need some drinking water. I'll sometimes buy a bottle when I'm thirsty and on the road. I'd prefer to pay $1 for a bottle of water, than drink $1 of Sugar and Caffeine.

If I'm at home, I have a pair of pitchers of ice cold water in the refrigerator, straight from the tap.
KansasDragon

Postby Ellen C. Braun » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:39 am

Well put, Barry/ Ann!

In NY, where I used to live, I had to filter tap water; here in Baltimore, it's fine right out of the tap- so it depends on where you live.
Ellen C. Braun
Elite Member

Postby karynsolo » Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:42 am

karynsolo

Return to Coffee Break!