[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Sticking to your word • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Sticking to your word

The completely OFF TOPIC forum :-)

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

Sticking to your word

Postby Ellen » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:03 pm

Okay - this is a rant so please bear with me. I'm just really ticked off with a script developer right now and wanted to get it off my chest. Maybe you all might have a suggestion for me to cope with this?

Back in 2005 I purchased a classified ads script for a client from a developer who promoted free installation and free upgrades for the life of the script. At the time there were literally dozens of classified ad scripts available on the net but the majority charged for upgrades after the first year. I thought it was a great deal so went ahead and made the purchase on my clients behalf.

Over the next year, working with the script and finding it very easy to customize/work with, and discovering the support for it just as good, since the free upgrade deal was still in place, I purchased scripts for a couple other clients and a couple licenses for myself. For my clients, I essentially put my own reputation on the line, telling them the script upgrades would be free - for the life of the script. (I wouldn't have told them this if the developer wasn't promoting this fact on his website.)

Fast forward a couple of years... Now he's charging upgrade fees. No problem. I can understand him changing his policy for NEW customers. The problem, is he's charging "everyone" upgrade fees! Including all the people who purchased his scripts when he was telling us upgrades would be free for the life of the script.

I attempted to reason with him, saying it wasn't the money but rather, THE PRINCIPLE. And he basically blew me off. (He actually deleted my *very nicely worded* post on his script owners support forum - saying it was off topic and made him look like the bad guy.")

Sure, I could stop using his scripts and move on - or pay the upgrade fees but at the same time I can't help but feel he should stick to his word and honor the offer he had promoted back when I purchased. Especially since one of the reasons I had for purchasing through him - as opposed to through someone else, had everything to do with his free upgrades for life offer.

I even went and found a webpage of his through the waybackmachine - where his FREE upgrade offer is still clearly showing. I did this more to ensure I was correct in my recollection of his offer - than to prove anything to him, but now I'm really thinking of posting something publicly about the way he has handled this. (Going back on his word - not honoring his own offer, etc.)

So the question is: Should I just drop this and pay the upgrade fees or should I let others know that he isn't the type of person to stand by his word?

Keep in mind, I told my clients upgrades were free - so in my mind, I can't charge them for upgrades without going back on my own word and will have to foot the upgrade fee bills myself.

Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated.
Ellen

Postby KansasDragon » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:06 am

KansasDragon

Postby Ellen » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:00 pm

Ellen

Postby nar321 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:56 pm

nar321
Elite Member

Postby Ellen » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:27 pm

Ellen

Return to Coffee Break!