[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - How much TV? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

How much TV?

The completely OFF TOPIC forum :-)

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary

How much TV?

Postby Alan Petersen » Mon May 28, 2007 11:06 pm

I've noticed a common theme emerging from a few books, ebooks, reports,blogs, etc. that I've been reading (written by successful entrepreneurs)...they don't watch or they limit the amount of time spent watching TV.

Chris Carpenter of google cash says he hasn't even owned a TV in ten years.. I'm trying to cut down (it's easier now in the re-run summer). I'll watch a few shows I like and the news but I try to keep it at a couple hours a day. In the evening. I don't turn the TV on during the day. I would like to hear about your TV viewing habits especially if you're making your living online.
Alan Petersen
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue May 29, 2007 6:58 am

I rarely watch TV at all myself, though lately I am making more of a habit of it. My first business was an electronics shop and we often had multiple TVs running at all times during the day... and TVs in every room of the house (except for the bathroom, which I had to talk my husband out of lol).

The year following my divorce, when my son was sick, I moved out to a remote cabin on the lake where we got no television signal - couldnt even pick up satellite, and only one radio station. I was one to only watch 1-3 hours a week anyway, so those two years really fine-tuned my habits and sources for information.

I started using the local news website to check weather and scan headlines, CNN.com to scan world headlines, and have news headlines on my home page from Google or Yahoo (depending on which browser I'm using). I actually saw more news this way than I did before, because I honestly didnt watch television much anyway.

I'm making more of a habit of it lately simply for downtime. I like to read, but I generally chooose non-fiction... so if I truly just want to wind down and take a break, I'm finding TV to be good for that. I have a 30 minute show I catch 3 or 4 times a week, and then I sit down for a movie (dvd or movie channel with no commercials) twice a week.

Good topic, by the way - I look forward to hearing other responses!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby MommyEnterprises » Tue May 29, 2007 12:42 pm

MommyEnterprises

Postby Lynn Terry » Tue May 29, 2007 7:44 pm

Yes, now my daughter consumes A LOT of television. She has favorite shows, likes movies, and will usually watch the tv anytime she isnt playing outside (she's 10).

My son plays it for background noise in his room (even when he's sleeping) but rarely watches it - he's generally working on his own online ventures or gaming on his computer.

For entertainment, I think its great (in moderation of course). For news and information... well there are just much easier and more efficient ways of getting that these days.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Alan Petersen » Tue May 29, 2007 10:30 pm

Alan Petersen
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed May 30, 2007 1:20 am

I ran across a show like that the other night while I was channel surfing, called The Ex Wives Club. It was AWFUL (unlike the movie by the same name). There was another one I watched once, I think wife swapping?, that I swear scarred me for life :lol:
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby WAHumor » Wed May 30, 2007 2:03 pm

Wife Swap is very scary!!

Unfortunately, my wife is a TV addict, so there's a lot more TV watching than I care for.

Anything I did watch, like CSI, have already had their season finales. So why bother?
WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby Oregon Coast Guy » Wed May 30, 2007 4:22 pm

The only two shows that I watch on a regular basis is TNA Impact and The People's Court. Tivo is evil, but I love it! hahahaha :lol:
Oregon Coast Guy

Postby Bonnie Lowe » Wed May 30, 2007 5:51 pm

Personally, I can take it or leave it (TV).

In a previous life, I lived in Italy for 4 years without a TV (or a phone!). This was long, long ago... before computers were invented. :wink: OK, that's an exaggeration... it was in the late 80s. I didn't miss watching TV at all.

Fast forward to my current life. I watch way too much TV now.

It's not that I think the shows are all that great. But I sit in front of a computer at work all day. Sometimes I'm just "computered out!" when I get home and don't even turn my PC on. (Bad internet marketer! Bad!)

Otherwise, I spend about 2-3 hours on my internet biz after getting home from work, and then spend the rest of the evening with my hubby. It's just a coincidence that this timing coincides with Prime Time. :wink:

My hubby's preferred method of relaxing after a hard day of work is (usually) to watch TV. So if I want to spend "quality time" with him, it's on the couch in front of the TV, watching (usually) what he wants to watch. Ugh... I've even stooped so low as to watch NASCAR racing with him! Can you believe it?!!?

We typically watch shows like 24, NCIS, CSI, House. And we do the Netflix thing.

When watching TV, I tell myself I'm doing research. As a marketer, I look at commercials much differently than as a consumer. Yep, "research!" That's the ticket!
Bonnie Lowe

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu May 31, 2007 2:44 pm

LOL... you're funny Bonnie :lol:

I can relate though, back when I was married (now that was another lifetime hehe) I would watch STAR TREK because for some reason that was when my husband was most 'affectionate'. :P
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Oregon Coast Guy » Thu May 31, 2007 2:53 pm

Those Vulcan women were pretty SEXAY!! lol :lol:
Oregon Coast Guy

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu May 31, 2007 2:55 pm

LOL :p
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Carrielee » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:32 pm

I think it's true, and I blogged about this just the other day in honor of TV Turnoff Week. There is some research behind this idea. Most of what's on TV is not good for someone who is an entrepreneur to watch.

I have an entire site devoted to helping families watch less TV. I very very rarely watch TV. I've never seen Desperate Housewives, American Idol or Lost. I don't have cable, and never have. I find TV depressing and boring, and the people I know who watch a lot of it are more likely to be depressive, scarcity minded and have issues with insomnia.

Carrie
Carrielee

Postby Angela Wills » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:56 pm

I don't watch much, but there are a few shows I just never like to miss.

When The Apprentice is on I try to catch every episode. My all time favorite is Grey's Anatomy - it's like a soap but I just love it, LOL.

When I was working an afternoon shift (3pm-12am) job so I missed pretty much all the shows anyway which worked out for me just fine... I do like to relax and watch a movie once in a while.
Angela Wills
Elite Member

Postby karthik26_89 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:54 am

TV??I dont watch a lot of TV.Im new to internet marketing.So there is many things for me to learn and implement.So i spend most of the time reading ebooks and implementing it the rest of the time.I watch maybe for one hour.That itself is long time.Where my most of the time goes is in Sleeping.LOL.I sleep for 8 hours a day.From 11 to 7.Thats just too much.I have to try to get up at 5 from now on.I have so much to learn.Maybe one day i become like you all.
karthik26_89

Return to Coffee Break!