[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Why give it all away? • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Why give it all away?

Promoting websites, online advertising, press releases... In this category, you'll find everything about marketing, exposure & publicity for your online ventures.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Michelle Waters

Why give it all away?

Postby Liz Tomey » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:11 am

Liz Tomey

Postby WAHumor » Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:06 am

You can give away pretty much whatever you like, Liz...provided it's downloadable!

One more freebie to consider is a chapter from your own ebook. You can entice some visitors into becoming customers.

Harvey Segal's ebook series is offered as a free giveaway and is rebrandable.

Then there's Andre Chaperon's

It's really more a matter of what you want to give.

What I do is allow visitors to subscribe, which then leads them to a download page. I do it this way so that I know that they're subscribing for the newsletter and not the freebie. Too often, people just download and run if you offer it upfront.
WAHumor
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:30 am

I really like to give services and resources - such as WordTracker's free trial (that never expires), or a link to a really good directory they can submit to.

I also like to give away original material, and things that arent freely given away everywhere (yet). When it comes to affiliate programs, I like rebranded files - whether it's audios, ebooks, reports or articles. Anything that is easy (and/or easily customizable) and also offers great content or resources to my targeted market.

Newsletters or update lists that cookie referrals that sign up for future purchases are good - which means the merchant is going to do the follow-up and make the sale... all I need to do is send them qualified leads that will convert into subscribers.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

What I'm looking for...

Postby Liz Tomey » Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:58 pm

Lynn,

That's exactly the info I'm looking for!

So are you saying that to get you to say give away something I have created, if it was of great content or not all over the place it doesn't necessarily have to make YOU money?

I know that you would rather it make you money. We all would! :D

Dan,

Thanks for your reply! I know I can give just about anything away, but I don't think I got my question through. Sorry about that...

Basically I'm wondering how do you decide what free content you give to your visitors. What makes something worth giving to your customers. What benefits do you look for not only for yourself, but for you also.

Can you answer that one? :)

Liz
Liz Tomey

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:26 pm

Yes, I'll include it whether its an affiliate program or not - such as in a recent issue where I mentioned www.landingpagebuilder.com (free and no association).

It's an easy decision for me, as to what I'll include. The truth is, I AM my targeted market, so I take the resources that I run across during my own work week, and then share those through my newsletter.

I dont make my living writing it. I write about what I'm doing while making a living online ;)
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Kevin Robb » Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:46 am

Liz,

Here's my take on freebies.

Whatever you do, If you are going to offer freebies make sure that it is something that you have used or read or better still written or created yourself.

The important thing to remember in the world of marketing is to build your credibility, if you offer anything make sure it is not detrimental to your future efforts.

If the article is not your own then offer something that is branded as this will continue to build your name and profile as it is circulated.
Once you have a subscriber on board the key is to "Overdeliver" (With content, advice etc) if they feel they are gaining more from you than they initially anticipated they will refer others.

Just my two cents

Cheers :wink:

Kevin Robb
Kevin Robb

Thanks guys!

Postby Liz Tomey » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:23 pm

One last question on the freebies....

If you could give stuff away to your subs and visitors, what would your ideal products be and on what markets/subjects would they be?

Okay, maybe that's TWO questions... :wink:

Liz
Liz Tomey

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:56 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Great way to build a business is to give something away

Postby KathleenGageSpeaker » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:01 pm

I wrote this article a while back. Thought it might be of interest based on the overall topic.

Samples and Coupons – A ticket in the door.
Businesses continually search for strategies to position themselves in the most cost effective way possible. Samples and coupons may be just the approach that will work for them.

Most people are familiar with the type of promotion that offers something free for a limited time or to a limited number of people. It could be anything from a cookie sample to free movie tickets promoted by a radio station. This type of campaign creates urgency and when done right can work extremely well.

What small, inexpensive things could you give out that will keep you fresh in your customer’s mind? Or what can you give away that introduces prospects to your business in a very cost effective manner.

Prior to giving anything away think through what the real costs are and what your return on investment is.

FREE CONSULTATIONS
This would work well for designers, makeup artists, or landscapers to name just a few.

BOOKS
Many authors who speak professionally give potential clients a complimentary book to add value to what they bring to a speaking engagement.

MINI WORKSHOPS
This is a great way to introduce people to your services. Or, you could offer a mini workshop as a perk to your current customers. Perhaps something like "Customer Service in the ABC Industry."

FREE PRODUCT
Give away a sampling of your product. Virtually any business could benefit from this during slow times. Take a tanning salon for example. They could offer one free tan during a specified period. Once they get customers in, make them another irresistible offer.

One Riverton, Utah-bsed massage therapist is successfully building her client base by offering free massages to a select group of people. She has done demonstrations with mini massages at festivals, benefit walks, and outdoor activities. She is very cognizant about gathering contact information and doing good follow up.

FOOD
A restaurant could build their name by having a vendor booth at professional gatherings. Give away samples of food. Collect business cards for a giveaway for free dinners. This allows for follow up and backend marketing.

FREE CLASSES
Yoga instructors, martial arts, and even puppy training all lend themselves to offering one free class. What a great way for people to be introduced to what you have to offer.

DONATIONS
Donating your product or service to a charitable cause often results in positive exposure to community leaders, charity board members, civic groups, etc. Just about anything can be donated if there is a value attached to it. If you have a facility you are trying to promote, you could donate the space to a nonprofit organization for one of their events. This is a win/win in that you are gaining exposure to a large group of people at very minimal costs.

FREQUENT BUYER PROGRAMS
This is a great way to offer a benefit to those who frequent your business. As a customer it is a great feeling to get a perk when you have been a frequent customer. Make sure your staff fully understands how important treating people who redeem their points, cards, or whatever tracking mechanism you are using, with complete respect. After all, they are the reason you are in business.

COUPONS
Coupons as a follow up to a sample will definitely generate more business, but make sure the offer is worth a person's time. You can offer 2 for 1 and discounts. Put an expiration date on all coupons or you may be held to the offer for years to come.
As you search for ways to continually promote your business, what is it that you can offer to your current and potential customers and clients that will create value for them and more foot traffic for you?

###
KathleenGageSpeaker

Return to Online Marketing & Publicity