[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - What Really Happens When People Visit Your Website... • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

What Really Happens When People Visit Your Website...

Promoting websites, online advertising, press releases... In this category, you'll find everything about marketing, exposure & publicity for your online ventures.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Michelle Waters

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:44 pm

I just received this *terrific* email from Perry Marshall, and wanted to share it with you, so I've pasted a copy below:

You write an ad and bid on a keyword.

Someone sees your ad on Google.

She clicks. (And Google whacks your credit card, for 10 cents or a buck or ten bucks... whatever.)

She looks at your website for, say, 10 seconds.

"Nah, that's not what I was looking for," she thinks. Or "Too expensive, I'm going to look somewhere else." Or "Too cheap, must not be any good." Or "That's nice, maybe I'll search again next week." Or "These guys really don't have what I'm looking for" -- even though you have *exactly* what they were looking for, they just didn't spend enough time to see that.

She clicks the BACK button and she's gone. Forever.

Or... if you're lucky, she might come back again, but Google charges you AGAIN when she comes back.

(Good for Google. Not so good for you.)

You know what the problem is?

It's a little bit like planting a tomato seed in the ground with a string attached to it, and yanking the seed out if it doesn't grow up into a ripe tomato plant overnight.

That $1 click is often just a ten second visit and a one-time event, but if you can turn it into a long-term process, you earn three to five times as much.

It would be nice if marketing on the web were as simple as buying a click and hearing the cash register ring, but if that's all you plan for, you're only skimming the thin layer off the top.

So if you want to fully engage your visitors, and really get the most out of all that traffic you buy, the engine that's going to drive everything is:

Email.

Email is the only way you can develop a relationship with the gal who just visited your website 10 seconds ago. It's the only realistic way to guide her through the maze of what you do and what you sell, to the point where she trusts you more than she trusts everyone else.

And it's the only way to make sure that if she needs you six months from now, that you're still on top of her mind.

Web marketing is not an event, it's a process.

That's why you're getting this email from me. Because I couldn't tell you everything I wanted to tell you on the first visit.

And here's another thing: Email may be "free" but there's really no such thing as something for nothing. In this age of Permission Marketing, a lot of people think that Permission = permission to pitch and sell all the time. Frankly, that just leads to a lot of crappy messages in your inbox.

When someone gives you permission to send them email, they are not granting you permission to pitch them on stuff all the time. They're giving you permission to build a relationship with them, with quality information, at no additional cost to you. If you're willing to take the time to do that, you will eventually win. It's almost inevitable.

With email at the center, the entire spectrum of web marketing comes into view. Here's what I consider to be the really important factors in web marketing:

-Getting your email messages through spamfilters

-Using Autoresponders to send a timed sequence of appropriate messages

-Writing advertising copy. This is vitally, critically important, and it's probably the trickiest ingredient for most people because it's so 'organic.' Most people don't know that you can borrow great ideas from others and adapt them to your own purposes, rather than sitting there in front of your screen with 'writers block.'

-Affiliate programs - it's one thing to be an affiliate for someone else, and get paid for sending traffic to their site - it's another thing to have a bunch
of affiliates selling your product for you, all over the web. If you do it right, it's incredibly powerful. Fortunately for you, most companies don't have a clue how to do this, and worst yet, some companies think of their affiliates as some kind of inferior race of people. (This is not unique to the online world - there are lots of manufacturers who have the same disrespect for their distributors, retail stores, reps, or whatever. It's a common malady but it's poison - it costs them a lot of money!)

Since I'm talking about affiliate programs, here are a couple of tips:

1) If you're going to join someone's affiliate program, look for signs that they really respect and appreciate their affiliates - their affiliates aren't just an annoyance or an afterthought.

2) If you have an affiliate program, then before you try to sign people up, you need to be certain that your site will make money for them. How do you do that? Buy clicks on Google with your own nickels and tweak your site until the sales process is effective. Once you've done that, your sales will multiply because your affiliates discover that they make more money sending people to YOUR site than to anyone else's. It's a magic carpet ride when your affiliate network takes off.

OK, and a few other things I think are really, really important in web marketing:

-Placing ads and articles in E-Zines. You can often buy space in other people's e-zines for a few bucks, and sometimes you can get free space if your articles are good. Very powerful, low cost method of getting more traffic. And when your articles are posted on various sites all over the net, you get a constant trickle of visitors freom different sources, and
it all adds up.

-Online Surveys: Sometimes the simplest thing you can do to explore a market is to simply ask people what they want! And I think the most valuable thing you get out of this is the words they use to describe their problem, which becomes powerful elements of your sales story.

I could refer you to dozens of gurus on all these various topics, but for beginners and intermediate web marketers, I think the best and most comprehensive coverage of ALL these topics, put together in one single place, is Cindy Kappler's "Online Marketing Secrets Uncovered." It uses text, video and audio to take you by the hand and show you how all of these things work together. You can find out more about Cindy and her course at secrets.makeyourwebsitepay.com

Sincerely,

Perry Marshall

(PerryMarshall.com)

:arrow: See: http://www.webservicenetwork.com/marketing-secrets.htm

Last edited by Lynn Terry on Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:52 pm

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby random » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:12 pm

You two are just awesome! I posted a link on this forum
a few weeks ago and my site got flooded with folks from here!

Perry Marshall is the "man" to tell you all about Google AdWords.
He hit the nail on the head when he states "good for Google" -

Personally I think Google has too much power and
I dislike the fact our marketing lives seem to revolve around
them but until someone else comes up with a better mouse
trap, we're stuck with Googleism for a while.

One thing I have done which has worked well for
me and my sites is to simply collect names and
addresses and provide something of value in return.
I mean real value. Anyone coming from AdWords goes to a form.
The form is not the value. What they get is.

If you go to http://milliondollardays.com
You will notice one of the forms I use to build my mailing list.
My information site is bordering redundant for a free ebook:
http://themoneyreport.net

Ever thought of adding your photo to the form itself and
make it more personable? Here's an example:

http://strategictraffic.com

If you can sell them with just a form, what could
you do with real good content?

After collecting the information I just sit tight and
wait until I have something really useful to send the list.
BUT, what's useful to me, may not be of interest to them.

One of the challenges I have now is "what to send them"

If I started to collect urls, I could visit the subscribers site, right?
If I find time to visit their sites, I get an idea of who my
subscribers are and what they might like. I know most
marketers out there would say... you nuts? Who has time for that?
But if you took the time, you'd know that, for example, you have
marketing folks, MLM folks, Work-At-Home Folks, Ebay folks, etc.
With that kind of demographics you can say to yourself:
"Hey I bet my subscribers would like this or that" and then
you send a review with valuable content and a way to go get it.
Last edited by random on Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
random

Postby Chris Choi » Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:37 pm

Right on the money.

This was exactly the case when I was promoting John Reese's
ebay course -- although I stopped promoting it due to low
traffic volumes -- so I could concentrate on better things
to promote.

When people visit your site, they want to know if you're going
to have info that they're looking for. Sometimes trying to
sell to them right from the get-go isn't really the right answer.
Chris Choi

Return to Online Marketing & Publicity