This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Twitter Search Expanding Reach to Tweeted URLs

Promoting websites, online advertising, press releases... In this category, you'll find everything about marketing, exposure & publicity for your online ventures.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Michelle Waters

Twitter Search Expanding Reach to Tweeted URLs

Postby terrapin719 » Fri May 08, 2009 9:20 am

I read this news this morning:

Twitter Search would be increasing its reach. At the moment it only searches the text of Twitter posts, but soon will begin to crawl the links included in these posts and index the results.

Twitter plans to index the pages too, which is what Google does. However industry pundits think Twitter Search will be a different kind of powerful search engine, which is focussed more on real-time results.

This is expected to make it faster than Google, mainly thanks to the nature of tweets being speedy to send, as opposed to web pages, which are slow to build. Moreover,Twitter Search would be getting a reputation ranking system soon. This means when a user does a search on a “trending” topic (a topic so popular its gets its own link in the Twitter.com sidebar), Twitter will take into account the reputation of the person who wrote each tweet and rank search results in part based on that.

The way reputation will be calculated is still being figured out by Twitter’s engineers but should make the search experience more streamlined and targeted.

I'm very interested to see how this turns out. I think a real time search is going to give marketers and bloggers a new edge they couldn't achieve with Google.

I know I find myself browsing Twitter more and more every day, this could make it grow, or this could make it jump the shark. What do you think?
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby mellymom3 » Fri May 08, 2009 10:20 am

This sounds like an excellent advancement. Google will soon be sorry they decided not to buy them out. lol. I think this will have many advantages for the business person for growth.

Did they mention when they thought the engineers would be done with their brainstorming?

Keep me posted, please.
mellymom3

Postby terrapin719 » Fri May 08, 2009 11:40 am

So far everything I've read today just says "soon" .... no specific idea of when soon will be! I hope it's very soon though.
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby terrapin719 » Fri May 08, 2009 11:45 am

Just realized I didn't link to any stories! Oops, sorry about that. Here's the cnet article:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-102 ... inesArea.0

there's other places that have reported on it as well, but they all say generally the same thing
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby mellymom3 » Fri May 08, 2009 3:08 pm

great, thanks for the link. Will read into it.
mellymom3

Return to Online Marketing & Publicity