This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Google Profiles: upgraded version introduced

Promoting websites, online advertising, press releases... In this category, you'll find everything about marketing, exposure & publicity for your online ventures.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Michelle Waters

Google Profiles: upgraded version introduced

Postby ChristineG » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:18 pm

Google has introduced an upgraded version of Profiles--if you have shared information with Google, you now have more control over how you appear in the search results.

When someone types in a particular name, an 11th result now pops up at the bottom of the page. This is a Profile.

You need to have a Google/Gmail account in order to create a Profile, and it is up to you how much info it contains. They can include a photo, location, links to your social media profiles, description, etc. You can also designate your profile's custom URL.

For those concerned with privacy, you can keep your profile private (meaning it will not show up in the search results).

I generally like the idea of Profiles because it is a way to further build your online presence. Plus I have a very common name so it's nice to distinguish myself in the search results. :)
ChristineG

Postby angienewton » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:03 pm

I had no clue that Google even had something like that LOL

I'll have to take a peek and see if I can find where the profiles are located. Thanks
angienewton
Elite Member

Postby terrapin719 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:54 am

I really don't like the things that Google has been doing lately. Profiles are kind of giving me the creeps right now in a way... as are the "custom" search results they try to give me if I'm logged in.

I actually try to remember to log OUT when I'm going to do any searching for anything, because otherwise I feel like someone is looking over my shoulder the whole time and ninjas are going to repel in the windows at any moment.
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby angienewton » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:23 am

Ahh interesting Loretta. I never even thought of logging out before searching. Good point!
angienewton
Elite Member

Postby CaraM » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:24 am

ninjas are going to repel in the windows at any moment

ROFLOL!

I'm not so sure about this. I'm hesitant about being everywhere too.

HubSpot TV spoke about it in their show #24
http://blog.hubspot.com/hubspot-tv-archives/tabid/75251/Default.aspx
CaraM
Elite Member

big brother g?

Postby createyourdream » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:31 am

Christine, I can relate about the common name, and previously thought I would brand something other than my name because of that. But, it's evolved into an authenticity thing, so I use my real name mostly.

Before creating a profile, I want to be clear what my goal is in doing so ... Lately it's been more important to me to figure out and stay focused on what I want to be known for, who I want to be known by, who would want to search for me and what keywords would others search for where I would be the one found... Make sense?

I'm kind of thinking too much about it now, AFTER the fact that, over the last year or so, without much aim, I put lots of profiles out there on many social networking sites, so I'm trying to be more directed now.

Interesting take, Loretta, I am only just starting to be a little concerned about how much Google knows about what I (we) do from the computers I (we) have here and the different accounts I have.

I read Lisa Barone's article you recommended about this. I'm rethinking the "ALL exposure is good exposure". It's important to question at times and do things with a goal in mind and wondering who's watching my little PC search!

best for now,
Mary
createyourdream
Elite Member

Postby lisamariemary » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:31 pm

Yep, I'm definitely torn on this - I can see both sides of the coin.
lisamariemary
Elite Member

Postby ChristineG » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:52 pm

Mary--and how funny, we have the same last name!

I totally get the weirded-outness. :) I still sometimes feel Google aka "the Big G" knows a little too much....however, I'm ok with my profile being out there at this point.

But the Google Street View IS a bit creepy though. :shock:
ChristineG

Postby lisamariemary » Fri May 01, 2009 12:53 pm

Christine - I just noticed on your profile - for the url to your blog - you have the http:// part twice.

And yeah, the Street View is super creepy. I live in a small town, though, so my house isn't in it. I do look at my folks' home in Dallas and my brother's home in Dallas ....and then I get all super mega sad. LOL So I actually make use of it, but, it winds up making me sad.
lisamariemary
Elite Member

Postby terrapin719 » Fri May 01, 2009 10:34 pm

I've been really creeped out since they started giving the customized search results. I tried it for awhile and didn't really find it helpful, and now I prefer to be logged out of Google anytime I want to search for anything, and sometimes even when I'm not searching and just browsing.
terrapin719
Elite Member

Postby tknoppe » Sat May 02, 2009 7:07 am

Well they "Google, Big Brother, etc... " knows it all already anyway - so might as well make it easy for my clients to find me. ;)
tknoppe
Elite Member

Postby ChristineG » Mon May 04, 2009 7:09 pm

Oooh, Lisa--thanks for catching that! It's fixed now. :)
ChristineG

Postby lisamariemary » Mon May 04, 2009 8:50 pm

You're welcome!
lisamariemary
Elite Member

Postby Ivan Michelle » Sat May 23, 2009 12:19 am

Well, I am sure Google people will keep all the information of their subscriber safe. If they did not I am sure they are going to loss a lot of member. Thanks for the info anyway.
Ivan Michelle

Postby Jimmy Keller » Sun May 31, 2009 3:23 pm

I have Gmail account, but this is the first the i heard about it. Well, I will try to try it and see if i like it. thank you for sharing the information.
Jimmy Keller

Return to Online Marketing & Publicity