[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Step Ten: Search Engine Optimization • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Step Ten: Search Engine Optimization

Promoting websites, online advertising, press releases... In this category, you'll find everything about marketing, exposure & publicity for your online ventures.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Michelle Waters

Step Ten: Search Engine Optimization

Postby Lynn Terry » Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:03 am

Search Engine Optimization

Make sure you have Meta Tags embedded in your web pages which include keywords and a website description. While some of the major search engines no longer use them, quite a few of the less popular one's do! See this tutorial: http://www.searchenginewatch.com/webmas ... hp/2167931

Your content also matters! Make sure that the content on your webpage is rich with keywords and relevant information (how many times are your keywords used on your main page?)… also look at image names and “alt tags” - these can be used to optimize your site for Search Engine placement as well. I also recommend naming your web pages using relevant keywords... for example: http://www.selfstartersweeklytips.com/a ... uccess.htm - see the "affiliatesuccess.htm"? Instead of naming your pages "page1.htm" or "as.htm"... use full relevant words to help index you under those search terms!

Be sure to exchange links with reputable sites that are complimentary to your target market - Getting listed on high traffic sites is a major plus! (Forget FFA and Free Classifieds!). I recommend exchanging links with sites that show up in the top 20 of a search using your own keywords.

You might also consider Pay Per Click options. See: http://www.webservicenetwork.com/payperclick.htm

a snippet:

" is still the granddaddy of the pay-per-click search engines, but its popularity has driven up the cost of advertising there.

Minimum bids now start at 5 cents per visitor, there's a set-up fee of $50 (though it's applied to your click- throughs), and there's a monthly minimum of $20.

Of course, with that said, if you can afford Overture , it's still the best choice for driving targeted traffic to your site."

Speaking of keywords, you might want to sign up for a free trial at to find out what people are searching for:

helps you find all keyword combinations that bear any relation to your business or service - many of which you might never have considered. You'll find out how popular these keywords really are. Then for each major search engine, we'll show you the chances of making the top 10.
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

SEO Advice For SelfStartersWeeklyTips.com

Postby Sharon & Roy » Tue Apr 22, 2003 3:49 am

Sharon & Roy
Elite Member

Postby Lynn Terry » Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:44 pm

Okay, I have read over this post, poked around in my code, came back and read again, reviewed my site...

I *really* appreciate the review - but I have to admit I'm a little confused :D

First, I was trying to figure out why, when I type "www.selfstartersweeklytips.com/forum" into my browser, it automatically changes itself to "http://selfstartersweekltips.com/forum". That also happens if you click on the link from my main page... :?

I went in to my admin panel - for the php forum - and changed my domain from "selfstartersweeklytips.com" to "www.selfstartersweeklytips.com" - but it didnt seem to keep that from happening.

This one I am totally lost on...

Perhaps it would help if I took your second piece of advice and used absolute URL's instead of just "index.htm, forum, articles.htm" etc. I'll try that!

Now wait a sec... if you go to my main page and look at the current article (will change in 48 hours tho!) - it gives a link to the forum... starting with http://www..... - and if you click on it - it STILL takes the "www" out! Why is that??

I understand what you said about the session ID's and admit that it was a messy copy & paste job in that instance. Sorry 'bout that :lol:

Can you explain this one in depth?>

Another aspect is to have your Webpage's "KEYWORD PLACES" contain your primary 3-word (or 4-word) keyword phrase in order to acquire maximum ranking consideration for the search engines.

Lynn, do you have a primary 3-word (or 4-word) keyword phrase?

What are the "keyword places" - assuming you arent talking about meta tags? And would my keyword phrase be the same as my "tag line" or "defining statement"? I've been toying around with this "tag line":

Self-Starters Weekly Tips
www.SelfStartersWeeklyTips.com
The Interactive e-Newsletter
for Active e-Biz Professionals!

However - it doesnt appeal to the newbies and start-ups as much as I'd like for it to... thoughts? And that wasnt what you were talking about, was it?? LOL

I'd definitely love to take a look at the tutorial and reworked pages! You can email me at Lynn@WebServiceNetwork.com :D

Please do continue when you have time - it is much appreciated! I just started a 21-day-challenge at TLS (more info coming soon), and so the timing is perfect for this!!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Sharon & Roy » Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:33 am

Sharon & Roy
Elite Member

Postby kathleen » Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:26 am

Just wanted to jump in and thank you for posting this thread and holding this discussion in the forum. I am new to the whole online business thing and am finding this conversation a great practical example of things that I have been learning about and trying to figure out. Having an example to look at really makes a difference. Again thanks Sharon and Roy for sharing the information, and thanks Lynn for allowing yourself to be used as an example. We all appreciate it!! :lol:

Kathleen
Mail is Fun!! (Coming soon)
kathleen

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:44 am

I'm glad you enjoyed this topic - I am learning a lot through all of the discussions here, myself! I would love to learn even more about SEO... Sharon & Roy, can you recommend any good resource sites on SEO? Thanks in advance :D
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Kathleen, Your Words Are So Encouraging, Thank You!

Postby Sharon & Roy » Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:15 am

Sharon & Roy
Elite Member

SEO Resources

Postby Sharon & Roy » Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:35 am

Sharon & Roy
Elite Member

Postby kathleen » Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:12 am

kathleen

Return to Online Marketing & Publicity