[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3824: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3826: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3827: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3828: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3247)
View topic - Opti-in lists and promotion in chat rooms • SSWT Internet Marketing Forum •

This Forum Has Been Archived
*Click Here To Visit The NEW Forum*

Opti-in lists and promotion in chat rooms

Promoting websites, online advertising, press releases... In this category, you'll find everything about marketing, exposure & publicity for your online ventures.

Moderators: angienewton, tknoppe, terrapin719, lisamariemary, Michelle Waters

Opti-in lists and promotion in chat rooms

Postby Xeon » Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:31 am

Xeon

Re: Opti-in lists and promotion in chat rooms

Postby flensborg » Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:15 am

Hi Xeon,

Buying Opt-In lists

Beware of opt-in lists.

There's a risk that what you are promised to be double opt-in emailaddresses are actually harvested emailaddresses, that potentially can get you thrown off your ISP, at the receiving end of angry emails and possible lawsuits if you just happen to break the anti-spam law in the wrong country or state.

That said, there are gold to be mined in those lists; if you get truely double opt-in addresses and they fit your target audience and they are responsive.

It's easy to imagine someone signing up for an opt-in list, just to get a free bonus, without the intention of ever actually reading any of the offers.

Chat room

Casually (or not so casually) mentioning your URL in chatrooms doesn't sound to me like a very profitable idea.

Here's why I think so:

1) Chatrooms are visited by a limited number of people at a time.
2) People come to chat; a social activity, where most people are not in a buying mode.
3) Chatroom sessions aren't saved as regular pages, that can be picked up by search engines.

P.S. I have absolutely no experience with chatrooms, so the above statements are merely my idea of what chatrooms function like and could be way off course.
flensborg

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Jul 02, 2003 5:35 am

Hi Xeon...

I havent actually 'purchased' opt-in lists, but have a friend that has done this and made a sweet profit from it. I agree with Henrik though - the risk of spam complaints is high in this situation, and can be more trouble than its worth in the end (costing you more than you are able to profit before you get shut down).

That said, there are safe-lists and other types of opt-in lists that are free to use... and many will tell you that these are a complete waste of time. I agree to an extent... unless you are offering a product/service in your ad that ad writers would be interested in. Obviously everyone that is reading your ad originally joined that "safe list" so that they could send an ad out. Keeping that in mind... you might find some use for these lists.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````
Here is a free one that I have used with some decent results:

Advertise Directly to 362,797 Targeted Leads -- 100% FREE!
Finally! A Free Advertising Service That Actually Works. Say "Goodbye" to other "free traffic" services that don't work. Get thousands of new leads, web site visitors, subscribers, and customers every week! And it's completely free. * Service Created By Entrepreneurs For Entrepreneurs. Click Here Now ==> http://www.opportunity.com/r/lynnwsn

```````````````````````````````````````````````````

Chat rooms - Henrik made some good points on this method - and I agree. However... I host the Affiliate Marketing Chat every Sunday night for the Womans Networking Community for 60-90 minutes. It is usually full of resources (and links) and so I save the transcript of that chat and make it available for download to the entire group (and ocassionally to other groups as well). This has proven to be a decent marketing strategy ;) I do include my name & link on the copy of the transcript - as well as all of the links/resources that were originally discussed at the chat itself. My next course of action is to combine these resources into a mini-site and free ebook... using search engines to draw in new traffic for both the information I offer and to the weekly chat. This is one instance where I can say that using a chat room is a profitable marketing tool.

I think its safe to say that as a general rule, targeted advertising works much better than mass advertising. Combining those two and creating a targeted mass advertising campaign would be your best shot!
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby flensborg » Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:54 am

flensborg

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:09 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Xeon » Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:18 am

Xeon

Postby flensborg » Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:32 am

flensborg

Postby Lynn Terry » Wed Jul 02, 2003 8:34 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Mike Merz » Wed Jul 02, 2003 4:22 pm

Mike Merz
Elite Member

Postby Xeon » Wed Jul 02, 2003 9:19 pm

Xeon

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Jul 03, 2003 5:02 am

Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby Xeon » Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:31 pm

Xeon

Postby Lynn Terry » Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:04 pm

Good thinking, Xeon ~ I had just mentioned this in the pay-per-click topic below (great minds think alike, eh? :D )

This is called "Affiliate Marketing" and it is a great way to make an additional stream of income from your website. Some people are Affiliate Marketers by trade and make their full-time living from this type of association with various companies.

I host the Affiliate Marketing chat at the Womans Networking Community every Sunday night at 8pm CST, and also include these types of tips in my weekly newsletter. If you're interested in learning more, feel free to join me in the Affiliate Marketing topic here at the forum!

You can also check out this recent issue of SSWT for a great article on Affiliate Marketing: http://www.selfstartersweeklytips.com/a ... 061603.htm

While I do think that you can earn commission easily by using AdSense, I have to say that I truly believe there are other affiliate programs that would be much more profitable...
Lynn Terry
Site Admin

Postby flensborg » Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:16 pm

Hi Xeon,

Allan Gardyne recently published an article about the pro's and con's of .

Where AdSense basically fits great is for information sites if you don't want to go through the hassle of finding specific affiliate programs to fit your theme.

By plugging in AdSense you will be serving ads that fit the content/concept/theme of each page.

Maybe this is the first result of Google using the technology they got when they acquired Applied Semantics ???
flensborg

Postby Xeon » Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:58 am

Xeon

Next

Return to Online Marketing & Publicity